cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Up to the NAS does not work in the DLO Setup

lbarolak
Level 3
We are evaluating BackupExec12 for our company, and I am working on tweaking the setup.  I have setup 2 backup folders on on  the server; one on the backup exec server and the other on our NAS, which works great from the main console.  I can not add the NAS, which is our fastest drive and the one with the most amouth of space to the DLO option.   I can see the NAS and all of it's shares on the network, I can acces the shares through every method, but the DLO add a new storage location (or the wizzard).   The drive is Linux based and does a fine job of doing windows file sharing to the rest of the network and even the main BackupExec admin console.   I have tried typing in the location in the \\machinename\folder\location format but I can an error that it is not a lettered drive. I have added the NAS as a mapped drive but it never allows me to add it, saying that the path can not be found or I have a problem with the user account in services.  The backup exec and SQL service account and the  user account is the domain admin account, and I have tried adding the path to the server in the machine enviornement varialbes with no luck.  I have searched the manual (but I could have missed something it is 1600 pages)  I am at a loss as to why I can add the storage folder on the main console, but not throught the DLO admin console.  Advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks lisa
11 REPLIES 11

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
On page 1021 of the BE Admin's guide there is a section on "Supported Storage Location Configurations"

Basically it comes down to this:

UNIX file systems or SAMBA shares on UNIX systems   ---- Not Supported

Windows 2000/2003 NAS/SAK NAS devices   ---- Supported

lbarolak
Level 3
I think I did not properly describe the device we are trying to backup too.  I am talking about an Infrant ReadyNAS.  I did read page 1021 as you suggested, and according to the specifications it should work.  This device handles Microsoft Active Directoy and WINS, and is joined to our domain as it's own machine, with a name that can be browsed to via Microsoft windows Networking and found in our domain.   Thank you for responding additional information is greatly appreciated.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Can you give me the model number of the device?  I'd like to look up more infromation on it.

lbarolak
Level 3

Thank you!   It is an Infrant Ready NAS- NV.  Infrant was bought about by Netgear, so the support and specs can be found through them.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
There are about 10 different versions of that device.  Which model do you have? Smiley Happy

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage/ReadyNASNVPlus.aspx

lbarolak
Level 3
We have the version that has 4 250 GB disks. for a total of 1 terabyte, but raided so 750 GB of space.  It looks like they call that:  RND4425 according to the web page you sent.  There is no marking on the devise or software labeling it anything other than an NV.  I hope that is what you are looking for.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Well from what I can find on other sites all the NV devices are running an embeded version of Linux on them.  Which means they aren't going to work.  I'm going to see if we have any contacts over at netgear to prove otherwise though.

lbarolak
Level 3
In case anyone else comes across this issue.  You can add the network share as a storage location but you need to do it. whenyou create the user.  If you delete the user and re create it you ahve the option of using a network share.  If you try to add this type of drive as a storage locaion it will not work.   Some check will only allow Drive letter mapping on that entry screen.

LovettA
Level 2
To backup up the previous note, I too managed to get a NAS box which did not support drive letters to work as a DLO storage location. We opted for a Buffalo Linkstation NAS device and the only way I could get this to work was by creating individual shares for each user's storage location and applying permissions for that user only, based on their AD account (and also of course domain admins or the DLO admin account).

The only functionality I can see that is lost by using a NAS device like this is that DLO cannot automatically create folders for each configured user and assign permissions to them, like it would on a single Windows-based share. So as far I as I have seen so far, everything works just fine.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with Symantec at the lack of clarity on this subject - I used this article, http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/299625.htm, on supported DLO storage locations as the basis for choosing a NAS box and given that the Buffalo device ticked the box for "Windows-networking accessible NAS Devices" and supported AD integration and permissions I thought this would be fine. 

This article may also be of help to some people - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/299622.htm. It supports the workaround we have mentioned here. 

Filip_Mayy_Hasa
Level 3
Accredited
Hi,

I can backup DLO Agent data to NAS device. It is a little bit dirt hack ;o)

Steps:

Create any DLO share on local server.
 Exit from console.
 Stop services "Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service" and "Backup Exec DLO Administration Service"

Install "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express"
 Open database BE_DLO.
 Open table "dbo.FileServer" and change value in column "fsServerName" to you NAS name. Save Change.
 Open table "dbo.Share" and substitute hostname of your server for NAS name in columns "ShareMachineName", "ShareUserPath". Save Change

Install agent and backup.

Don't change owner of services DLO it can be problem.

Probably it is not supported solution.

Any feedback is welcome.

salina
Not applicable
Did this really work because i tried it and it still defaults to the local server to do the backups and NOT the NAS. Does anyone else have anything i can try.

Please let me know soon.

Thanks