cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup and Restore Hyper-V - Best Practise?

Ronnie_Whittake
Level 2

i'm setting up a business apps server and will install backup exec 2010 with hyper-v agent onto this to backup the 4 VM's that wil be on there

i'm setting up also another server of same configuration to be used for redundancy should this business apps server fail

i want to know if in the event of failure how easy it will be for me to restore the VM's onto the spare server and to get them up and running as quick as possible?

ideally i would like a cluster solution but can't afford it right now so i want Backup Exec to help me in providing a failover solution, as seamless as possible.

your advice and recommendations most appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please refer to this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21770 : Best practices for Backup Exec 2010 Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V

Thanks,

-Sush...

sbora
Level 6

You can run redirect restore of the virtual machines (using Microsoft Hyper-V Redirection tab in the restore job) and restore them to the second server.

While restoring select the option "Redirect to a different host and register the virtual machines" (selected by default) under the Microsoft Hyper-V Redirection tab in the restore job properties.

Ronnie_Whittake
Level 2

thanks guys

sbora i was hoping that i'd be able to do something like that, sounds perfect

with the VM's registering after redirection does that mean i can run the VM's on the spare server ? so effectively having two instances of the VM's running at the same time. the LIVE instances on the Business Apps server, and the latest backed up instances on the Spare server?

is there any other manual intervention required in setting this up? or can it all occur automatically?

thank you

sbora
Level 6

You can run the VM's on both the servers but then there will be a conflict on the network if two VM's with same name and Ip addresses are running on same network. This will cause problems with your production VM's.

No manual intervention required and once u redirect restore the VM on the second server it will get registered if the option suggested in the previous post is selected.