cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5.5 Writing forever with no files / kilobytes transferred.

Ronni_Mazza
Level 2

Long time reader, first time poster!

I am having a problem with trying to backup a folder on a network. Admin Console is on a server and the client is on another server. The policy is to backup a folder on the client server (F:\backup) daily.

Looking at the job status. The job connects, positions, mounts, then commences to write to a Tape Library. The thing is, however, it stays like this forever. No files transferred.

Im not really sure what other logs i can check to go deeper in trying to fix this problem.

Any help would be great!!

Ronnie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ronni_Mazza
Level 2

Resolved

Had to add the client in the Master Server Client Attributes. Also making sure that the tab named Windows Open File Backup had the enable tick UNCHECKED.

Thanks all!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To backup network folder, you need to backup the UNC path, not mapped drive letter.

Also ensure that NBU Client service is started as domain user with sufficient priveleges to network path.

As a test, add a User type schedule to the policy, logon to the client as domain user used for Client service, open BAR and see if you can browse network path and select for manual backup.

Create bpbkar log on client for troubleshooting.

See Backup Network Drives topic in NBU Admin Guide for Windows, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3653

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In addition to Mariannes excellent advice - it is odd that it goes on forever- would have expected it to just fail if it couln't find the path

Tends to indicate an issue whilst trying to do its open file stuff (VSS) or gathering its file list.

On the client make sure you have the netbackup\logs\bpcd folder and also the bpfis and bpbkar folders in the same location.

Kick off the backup and see what processes are running

If it just stays using bpfis.exe then the issue is the snapshot, if bpbkar32.exe runs then the backup is actually trying to do something.

Give it a while and then gather the three logs from these folders and post them on here (as attachments) so that we can take a look

Ronni_Mazza
Level 2

I compared the logs from a couple of sites, the bpcd log.

I noticed that the successful backup on another server has references to bpbkar32.exe throughout the log, however the faulty one does not.

Also in the bpfis log, the only entries are populated on the client server thats not working. Throughout the log i get vfms error 3 and 10 being:

Flashsnap_init: veritas volume manger not installed
vxvm_init: veritas volume manger not installed

Im sorry but the system is a standalone and i cannot transfer the logs over.

Ronni_Mazza
Level 2

Resolved

Had to add the client in the Master Server Client Attributes. Also making sure that the tab named Windows Open File Backup had the enable tick UNCHECKED.

Thanks all!