cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup design questions

MaxSterling
Not applicable
I have 11 servers in an unmanaged CoLo that I need to backup. On these servers, there is Exchange 2003, MS SQL Server, and an Oracle database.

The original design (using Arcserve) was to run a full backup to tape once per week, then append differentials. Someone would then drive to the CoLo to change the tape once per week.

Our data has outgrown this method, and we'd like to eliminate the trip to the CoLo to change tapes.

We'd like to replicate the data over the point-to-point T1 that we have in place between our offices and the CoLo, then backup the data to tape at our offices.

What I'm envisioning is something like:

At the CoLo:
Have a BE Media server that performs a quarterly Full backup-to-disk of the server System States, etc.
Run a monthly backup-to-disk of the Exchange Information Store.
Use CPS to replicate changed data to our office, including the backup-to-disk backups

At our office:
Have a BE Media server and CPS Server (same box) that backs up the replicated data to tape, allowing us to restore directly from tape to CoLo server if needed.

In the event of a disaster, we'd transport the office BE Media server and tapes to the CoLo to facilitate a restore.

Is this feasible? Is anyone doing anything like this?

Thanks for any help!
1 REPLY 1

IT-Mgr-MA
Level 3
I personally would think netbackup would be a better solution for this...

Also I would look at some solutions like Sonasoft....

They will create a redundant server on your site with all data being replicated constantly but with low bandwidth.

I think Netbackup is similar so I'd check that versus 11d

Also the solutions like Sonasoft offer restoral to dissimilar hardware.  I personally haven't tested their solution yet but am always interested in that type of solution.  I don't think that particular company supports oracle though...

Again...  I would look strongly at Some of Symantecs Other Products though to complete this task but you could use 11D and use the Throttling of bandwidth and scheduling options it seems like.