cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 12.5 / Hyper V - Win 2008 Ent R2 64x

vanwykm
Level 3
Hi Team.

Can someone tell me why the following would happen.

We have a HP server with Hyper-V (Windows 2008 Ent Edition R2) connected to this server is a HP Storageworks 1/8 autoloader and Symantec backup exec 12.5.

For some strange reason I get "unknown error" where running backups within Symantec.

The above error only seems to happen with large backup / smaller backup like 2GB work 100%

Another thing i have noticed is that if i shut down both the server and the autoloader and boot both of them up at the same time my Virtual servers don’t start up.

If i only boot the server, then the virtual servers boot up 100%.

Are there any known issue with regards to Hyper-V and Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 or the HP P800 Controller (3B1513-B1) or the HP Single CH U320 SCSI Adapter?

Your assistance and comments would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec 12.5 is not supported on 2008 R2 as a media server it is only supported as a remote agent so it is possible you could experience all sorts of odd problems if this is what you have.

vanwykm
Level 3
Hi Colin.

Could you please point me to the document / page number that indicates Backup Exec 12.5 is not supported on 2008 R2.

Regards.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
I'm not Colin,

But here's the document you asked; http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/331998.htm

Windows 2008 R2 Support

- Added Support for Windows 2008 R2 Operating systems (File System, System State, Shadow Copy Components Only).  Backup Exec Remote Agent (RAWS) support only.  

Windows 2008 R2 Features NOT supported

- Installing a full version of Backup Exec 12.5 as a media server on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.

- Hyper-V: When protecting Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V hosts using the Agent for Microsoft Virtual Server Windows (AMVS) GRT tape backups are NOT supported.  Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V GRT backups to disk are supported.   If a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V GRT tape backup is required the backup must run to disk first then duplicated to tape.

- Native and Boot from VHD

- File Classification Infrastructure (FCI)

- Clustered Shared Volumes (CSV)

About HP P800 Controller (3B1513-B1)  controller, that's a RAID Controller and at least in past they wasn't supported with Tape Devices.