cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 12 gives error then freezes when I attempt to edit a selection list

idahotech
Level 3
If I right click on properties, it gives me a list of jobs it will affect, I click OK to this then I get the following error message...

External component has thrown an exception.

Stack Trace:
at BackupExec.UI.BEDlgs.SelectionListProperties(Guid[] guidArray, Int32 arraySize)
at BackupExec.UI.Data.SelectionListInst.OnProperties(Command command, List`1 listUIObjects)

After clicking ok the application freezes completely and can only be closed down via Task Manager. Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Running:
Backup Exec 12.0 Rev 1364
SQL Server 2005
Windows Server 2008 Standard
12 REPLIES 12

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
http://support.veritas.com/docs/302050
Register the Backup Exec Calendar Controller DLL PVCALENDAR.OCX manually per the following steps:
1. Go to a Command Prompt on the media server (Start-->Run-->cmd).
2. Change the path to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec. Type in the following and then press enter:
regsvr32 pvcalendar.ocx
Note: A popup message should be returned indicating the file was registered successfully.
3. Restart the Backup Exec Services. The backups should now schedule without any issues using the "Edit Schedule Details" Option.

idahotech
Level 3

Hi thanks for the reply. I don't think there is a issue with the calendar, i tried the above but it hasn't fixed the problem.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Have you tried running repair install for backup exec ?  It needs a reboot after the repair

idahotech
Level 3

Might be the only option, will i loose any of my jobs/selection lists etc?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Nope when u run the repair you dont losse any data ...IF you want you can just backup your Data and the catalog folder

idahotech
Level 3

Just to add to this, if I try to create a new restore job the software just locks up - no error message.

That makes this a pretty serious problem!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Any update ... Did you ran the repair install.?

idahotech
Level 3

Yeah I ran the repair, but it didn't fix the problem.

idahotech
Level 3

I've been reading around and noticed that Backup Exec 12 and SQL2008 don't get on very well.

Both SQL2005 and 2008 are installed on the server, BE uses the 2005 instance so I wouldn't have thought this would cause any problems. Could this be the root of my issue?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
yup that is the excatly the cause the very 1st line of the document states that  http://support.veritas.com/docs/310741
When editing and submitting existing backup jobs, backup templates, or selection lists the Backup Exec Interface will hang if SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 components are installed on a Backup Exec 12.0 Media Server

idahotech
Level 3

Hmm, upgrade to 12.5 looks favourite then. Thanks for your responses RahulG.