cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2012 with HP G2 1/8 AUTOLOADER

Mark_Jones999
Level 2

Hi all

I'm new to Backup Exec 2012. I'm struggling to do what I think should be a simple task.......................

Have one backup job of type FULL using partitions 1(slots 1-3) on HP 1/8 AUTOLOADER, running on Friday.

An then have on backup job of DIFFERENTIAL type using partition 2(slot4) on HP 1/8 AUTOLOADER  running every day except Friday.......

Firstly I can’t create a separate DIFFERENTIAL job. Maybe this isn’t possible anymore.....

Secondly I can’t configure a 2 step single backup job to use two different partitions on the AUTOLOADER, I select partition 1-3 for my full part of the job, but it won’t allow the second(differential) to use partition 4, I get the following error  message.

THE STORAGE POOL YOU HAVE SELECTED IS EMPTY. YOU MUST ADD AN ACCESSIBLE DEVICE TO THE STORAGE POOL BEFORE THIS JOB CAN RUN.

Can anyone advise on the solution?

Basically I want to load three tapes into my AUTOLOADER, 2 in partition 1 and 1 into partition 2, then have a FULL backup run on Friday night(this using the 2 tapes in partition 1)

Rest of the week a DIFFERENTIAL job can then backup only the changes to partition 2, swapping the tape in partition 2 daily until the next FULL backup on Friday....... then we start all over again..

Kind Regards

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Mark ,

You are not able to create a differential or incremental job on its own, these jobs must be created as a stage of a full job. But you should be able to achieve what youre trying to without issue.. Once your partitions are created open the backup job and edit the backup options click the storage tab on the left and under the storage location of each job.. full/diff select the storage location/partition.. see below 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check partition-2 properties and see if tape drive(s) are assigned to it or not. If not add a device and try configuring the job.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Mark ,

You are not able to create a differential or incremental job on its own, these jobs must be created as a stage of a full job. But you should be able to achieve what youre trying to without issue.. Once your partitions are created open the backup job and edit the backup options click the storage tab on the left and under the storage location of each job.. full/diff select the storage location/partition.. see below 

Mark_Jones999
Level 2

Guys.... i'm an idiot I DID NOT scroll down, how easy was that after scrolling down. thanks for the screenshot it helped massivly. King Regards Now Happy Mark