cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec and external USB Hard Drives on SBS 2003

Acupro
Level 2

I am pulling my hair out trying to get this thing configured correctly. 

The goal:

Using Backup Exec 12.5 with 2 External USB based HDD to backup the server and Exchange mailboxes

Preferences:

1) Backups are done daily
2) Each day the drives are swapped with the one not used heading offsite
3) Backups are full backups of the server and Exchange mailboxes (no incremental necessary)
4) Backups are overwritten so as to never have an issue with drive space

I cannot seem to make this work.  For one the drives are always assigned the same drive letter when attached.  No matter what I do I cannot seem to make Backup Exec overwrite all data on the removeable drives.

This seems like such a simple process in thought and yet in application it is a royal pain.

Please help.

Chris

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Check the Media Set properties associated in the job. I believe that we are running only 1 backup job

I would recomend the following settings:
Example:
1  : Media Set 1 : Append Period - 1 Hour and Overwrite Protection Period - 1 hour
2  : In the job properties go to the Devices and Media, select the USB Drive, Select the Media Set (Media Set 1)
3  : When this job Begins : Overwrite

This will overwrite the USB Drive

overwrite.JPG

Hope this helps...

Acupro
Level 2
Yes.  Right now my external backup drives have 400+GB of data for a server that has 128GB of data.  This makes no sense.  There are over 100IMG Folders and 65B2D files on each of the 2 backup drives.  I am also getting this error message:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed (Server: "DTWSERVER") (Job: "Backup 00003") Backup 00003 -- The job failed with the following error: The backup-to-disk folder for this backup job is on a FAT or FAT32 volume, which has file size limits. A file in the backup job exceeds the file size limit. You must specify a backup-to-disk folder on a volume that does not have file size limits, such as an NTFS volume. Check the job log for details. For more information, click the following link: http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml