cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec jobs stuck on pre-processing state

loki_legacy
Level 3

Hello,

We are facing isssues with Backup exec 2010 R3, that our backup exec jobs for remote servers are getting stuck on pre-processing state
- For local serve its fine.
- testing credential for local also fine but get stuck on testing for remote servers jobs
then only solution is to kill process from task manager, this repeats every time.
- we have repaired the application and remote agents including install and uninstall a lot of time , rebooted the media and remote servers but still no luck.
- BE2010 R3 is install on Vmware platform.
- Earliers backups were fine no idea what triggered this issue.

Please can somebody help, I have tried with lots of solution over google but unsuccessful even I am unable to found solution over symantec Knowledgebase.

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are any applications/databases being backed up as well ?

If yes, what happens if you disable application GRT & re-attempt the backup ?

And do you notice the Remote Agent service stopping during the pre-processing stage ?

loki_legacy
Level 3

- For the one its taking database backup is working fine.

- I found GRT is only available in Exchange and that is not selected.

- Remote agent is not stopping during backup neither of media server nor remote backup server.

For now I also removed the service pack 2 for BE 2010 R3 Rev 5204.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec always recommend that you use a physical server for your media server.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1291065885300

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Limitation of using vmware is itis shared resuorces in a single host. performance might be affected. better to use physical server especial if you will be using tape.

loki_legacy
Level 3

Server is virtualized under ESX server which is mentioned in document but I couldn't fine the option they are saying to select i.e.

"However, the benefits of performing an "off-host" snapshot backup away from the ESX server will not be realized if the Backup Exec server is virtualized and backup I/O is impacting the performance of the ESX server. In this configuration it is recommended that the "Hot Add" backup transport method be selected in the Backup Job Properties|VMware Virtual Infrastructure settings screen in Backup Exec."

No tape devices are in use for now, Using Backup to disk on removable devices that are shared and connected to a remote physical server.

The Backups were working fine earlier and completely no idea what has changed in their environment.

loki_legacy
Level 3

The backup jobs are going in pre-processing state for only remote backup job, backup for media server is working fine.

And same with credential test if I test resource credential for media server job shows successful, whereas for remote agents and remote server backup jobs it's keeps stuck on testing status,

I assume problem with communication with remote agents.

Some one suggested to disable the TCP offload mentioned in below link which is I didn't applied yet.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tcp-chimney-offload

Please suggest if this is ok

loki_legacy
Level 3

ESX host is 5.0
No option to open 10000 port for symantec backup exec so tried disabling the firewall but still no luck

Also credential check or test for media server backup job is successful always
whereas for remote server backup jobs it stucks on "Testing..."  and then we have to
kill the process manually.
hangs issue also persist while expanding servers in selection list.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to create a smaller job to back up the server to see if it works? If not, then you can check the vsswriters on the remote server and make sure they are stable and running. If not, you can either repair the VSS writers as per the TN below, or reboot the server and try again.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Hi, try to do a small job of one file to see if it works, also make a backup with windows backup and see if it works ok.

What kind of permission do you have in the user ? Check that too

Do you have any firewall ? AV ? or something that can prevent the backup ?

loki_legacy
Level 3

@timgarbim

I tried to create a new job but it hangs in selection list when expanding remote servers and then we can only kill the process.

also for local server backups are working fine in symantec, only remote servers creating issues.

we tried disabling windows and any third party antiviruses but issue is still same.