Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec migrated to new server

Yobo
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

I have a  temproary backup server (bkserver - 192.169.10.10)  that is running evaluation  copy which has been push down to 10 servers including AD, Exchange Server and SQL Server. This backup server is part of the   AB Domain.    This backup server is also running symantec endpoint projection to deploy the client

Now, I have purchase new license for the backup software and also a new hardware.

This new hardware must be the same computer and IP Address of the previously server.

What is the best way to deploy this new backup exec to a new hardware that has minimum impact to the existing environment? Do I need to reinstall all the agent client.

Please advise

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If you licensed your agents, I would push the clients out again. But as you know this can be done from Backup Exec itself.
What I would do is:

1. Stop all the BE services on your current server.
2. Once done, copy the Data folder off to another location.
3. Get all your settings (IP addresses etc), and then shut down your old server.
4. Set up and configure the OS on your new server with the same settings that you want, and install BEWS with all the agents licensed.
5. Stop the services again, and then rename the Data folder on your new server to Data_old. Then copy that other Data folder into the same location.
6. Start up your services.

This should carry all your media/job/server information across. As I mentioned, just run an installation on your remote servers again from within Backup Exec itself. 10 servers aren't much, so it should go quickly.

Then run a test backup and post the results here.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
If you licensed your agents, I would push the clients out again. But as you know this can be done from Backup Exec itself.
What I would do is:

1. Stop all the BE services on your current server.
2. Once done, copy the Data folder off to another location.
3. Get all your settings (IP addresses etc), and then shut down your old server.
4. Set up and configure the OS on your new server with the same settings that you want, and install BEWS with all the agents licensed.
5. Stop the services again, and then rename the Data folder on your new server to Data_old. Then copy that other Data folder into the same location.
6. Start up your services.

This should carry all your media/job/server information across. As I mentioned, just run an installation on your remote servers again from within Backup Exec itself. 10 servers aren't much, so it should go quickly.

Then run a test backup and post the results here.

Yobo
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

What is the implication if you don't  re-push down the agent on the new server? Is it possible to work?

Thanks

CraigV
It should still work, but I have experienced an issue on an Exchange server where I licensed the agent on the backup server, but the change wasn't detcted by the remote agent. So my backups kept on failing.
The interesting thing is that when I did so, it also pushed out 2 updates. Since then, no issues.
The impact on your LAN isn't that great, so I would suggest you doing it.