cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec tape-bot

seenit
Not applicable

How am i able to tell the tapebot with backup exec to put lets say the monday tape in on monday etc.

right now i know i can make 5 difrent jobs and make 5 difrent partitions for the tapes but it seems that there must be an better way to do it.

tapebot: HP 1/8 G2 autoldr LTO-5 3000 SAS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You can partition the library if you want in order to target specific days to specific slots. I used this successfully, but not on such a granular level, ie. Partition 1 = Monday; Partition 2 = Tuesday etc.

If you need to span a tape, you need to import one as BE will not span between partitions at all.

A good read is pkh's excellent article below:

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

Your other option is just to let BE do it's thing and target any available job. When you need to remove Monday's tape for instance, check the backup job log and take note of which tape was used before removing it.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You can partition the library if you want in order to target specific days to specific slots. I used this successfully, but not on such a granular level, ie. Partition 1 = Monday; Partition 2 = Tuesday etc.

If you need to span a tape, you need to import one as BE will not span between partitions at all.

A good read is pkh's excellent article below:

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

Your other option is just to let BE do it's thing and target any available job. When you need to remove Monday's tape for instance, check the backup job log and take note of which tape was used before removing it.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The better way is not to worry about which tape is used for which day's backup. This is much more efficient and you only need one job versus 5 jobs when you force BE to use a particular tape for a particular day