cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Veritas 8.6 Back up exchange 3 times ?

Martin_Hanley
Level 2
You have the option to backup

1. The flat program files (Exchsvr in Program files directory)

2. The virtual Drive M:\ (That exchange creates)

3. The mailbox folders and the information store etc

In order to have a complete restorable backup if all should fail, what is the minimum that would need to be backed up nightly.

Would you just need to backup the mailbox folders etc and leave the other two options unselected ?

Would you be able to perform a complete restore with just these files, and would it in turn restore the program files and also the M:\ drive ?

Please help as I have this problem because exchange is being backed up the equivalent of 3 times.

It's constantly filling up my back up tapes and im not sure if it is necessary. Even with the drive M:\ excluded from the backup the tape is reaching its capacity.

I would be grateful for anyone's advice on the best practice in this situation, and obviously so I can still restore exchange fully if I needed to.

Any helpful documents or links would also be appreciated

Thanks

Martin
6 REPLIES 6

Chad_Wansing_3
Level 3
The answer is "yes, kind of".

You get a your standard machine-level backups as you would with any other server. This gets all of the data in the folders....the only problem is that when it gets to a database like the Exchange databases, you're essentially getting a picture of a moving image. It's like taking a picture of a game where everyone is running around. There's too much going on and the picture comes out blurry. Same thing with backups not done using an agent. The Exchange databases are still performing transactions, and if you try to restore from this backup all you'll have is a corrupted database that you probably can't do anything with.

Enter the Exchange Agent. The Exchange agent commits all the logs and essentially does an export of the databases so that they can be backed up in a way that allows for a restore. So if your server dies, now you can get your Exchange data back......but that doesn't do you much good if you have a particular user that inadvertantly deleted all of HR's FY05 e-mails. You don't want to restore 3000 users e-mail back to their state as of yesterday morning, you just need this one folder for HR.

This is where the brick-level backups come into play. They catch copies of every single e-mail within the priv.edb so that you can restore a single e-mail or a users folder full of e-mails that is stored on the Exchange server. I'm don't remember for a fact if the pub.edb is treated the same way. I'm not totally sure if brick-levels catch all those e-mails also, but I'm thinking it doesn't.....it's been awhile.

Hopefully that helps, and it's been awhile since I've used the Exchange functions on 8.6, but that information should be good.

Martin_Hanley
Level 2
Thank you for you post, so would i be correct in thinking that i should back up the flat files and the mailbox store. There fore i could leave the M:\ drive out of the backup and still have no problems doing a full or part restore at any stage ?

Chad_Wansing_3
Level 3
Your "M:\" backup seems to be the database backups of the pub, priv and dir.edb's. I've don't remember ever seeing it break the backup out into a virtual drive, but again, it's been a while.

Of the three backups to cut out of that rotation, I DEFINITELY wouldn't suggest canceling the database backups. Of the three backups, the online database backups are the most important. If your server dies, or something happens to Exchange, that's the only backup that's really going to mean anything when you're trying to get your data back. Brick-level backups are nice, and sometimes necessary depending on what you're doing and the expectations held for your position, but at the end of the day, they're not going to do you much good if Exchange gets hosed.

Personally, I'd at least add tapes to your rotation to be able to get the backups you really do need, or look at a different tape technology if it absolutely has to fit on a single tape.

Do you only have one Exchange server you're backing up? How many mailboxes are you looking at? What is your current technology you're using to conduct your backups? What kind of window do you have to work with? What kind of budget do you (or your bosses) have to work with? All these are questions that will help guide you to what you need to be looking at to be sure you're able to provide the kind of backup services (in both DR circumstances and your everyday user deletion of data cases) that your site requires.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Microsoft explicitly tells you NOT to backup the M: drive. I'd can't find the reference rignt now, but I'm sure that you can find it on search.microsoft.com.

You also may not want to do Mailbox backups except for a few high profile users. The are extremely slow compared stores backups, and many have problems when they try to restore.

Mailbox backups do not grab public folders, just individual mailboxes

You may want to read through http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm to see if you really want to do Mailbox backups at all

Level 2
G'day. I've had and solved this issue. Time for some minor registry hacks.

Instead of me retyping it all, go to <>.

Basically, if you've got the same issue I had (which it sounds like), the section on "Backup Exec for Windows NT v8.x" and the sub-section "Insert Media Prompt Response".

Basically, I narrowed it down to the drive and BE not timing out at the end of proceedings like it should. This forces it to only wait 30 seconds (or more if you chose but I say stick to 30) before moving on to the next step which in this case, is going back and waiting for the next scheduled job to kick in at the proper time.

Hope it helps.

Now back to hunting for help for my own current problem. :)

Level 2
OOPS!!!

Posted this reply in the wrong section. Sorry. This is a solution for a different question.