Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failure on one remote server fails all others after it on the backup

Robert_Kuczma
Level 3
Hi.

Interesting one this.

We had a server blue screen last night while it was being backed up.

On the Backup server Veritas backupexec 9.1 reported

"a00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost"

Seams fair enough , the server blue screen so it lost its connection.

However...

All the servers left to backup in that job also failed with the same error being listed.

I know this can't be the case that it had problems with the all as the server runs 2 jobs , exchange and windows , the exchage job continued to run fine and backed up a windows exchange server the the windows backup could not backup the files on that server.

Hope that is understandable.

Is this normal for this fail to cause all remaining backups to fail?

Any ideas.

Thanks

Robert
11 REPLIES 11

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

On which server did the error occur?

Also try to split the servers in 2 or 3 jobs and then verify the result.

Also in addition please see the technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Kuczma
Level 3
Failed server is 2003 , backup server is 2000.

The server really did fail as in bluescreen (We have now fixed the problem with this server)

However my question is why did the failure to backup 1 server causing all remaining to fail, it should have just moved on and backed the rest up.

Robert

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Since the job failed on 1st server in the backup the other servers that need to be backed up will not be backed up.
Hence we suggest that you split the backup job to verify.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Kuczma
Level 3
Hi.

Is it just a server failure that causes all others to fail?

As we have some failed jobs due to corrupt data which just continues on to the next server.

Is our only real option to backup all our servers in seperate jobs (We have a lot of server)

Robert

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

If the media server fails then all the jobs are going to fail.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Robert_Kuczma
Level 3
The media server as in the server with the library attached is fine.

Heres an example

My backup job contains...

Server 1 - This server backs up fine

Server 2 - This server blue screened while being backed up due to a failure of some form (Not interested in this problem as it has been fixed)

Server3 - Because server 2 did not backup correctly the media server has decided that it won't bother backing this server up. (This is my problem)

Robert

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can try creating seperate backups for all the servers and then check on which it is giving you the problem.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Robert_Kuczma
Level 3
Thats NOT the problem.

I know which server failed in this case but WHY did ALL servers in the BACKUP fail with the SAME ERROR , Which i know know is not true.

Robert

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Change registry key "\HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS\ Restrict Anonymous Support" to "1".
Recycle the BE services

- Backup EXEC remote agent (RAWS) uses port 10000(NDMP) of the systems, where RAWS is installed. These errors would arise, if another application is using it. In order to check that, do the following (on media server and also on the remote servers):

You can download the TCP View utility program, from the Website "www.sysinternals.com". When you implement the utility program, you can see a list of Ports used by your system.
When you find from the list that the port 10000 is used by another application, you can implement one of the following options:

We recommend you to modify the port from these application on another.

OR

Change the Port of NDMP on all systems, so that NDMP uses the same Port on all systems where you have installed

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Robert_Kuczma
Level 3
How exactly does that fix my problem?

Robert

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Robert,

Could you please update us on the issue?