cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup freezes the whole server when done during working hours

Shay_Withnall
Level 3
Hi,

We are currently experiencing a problem with part of our backup. There is a folder, separate from our normal daily backup, that needs backing up one a month. As I.T only work normal working hours we decided that we could back the data up, during the lunch hour. However when we try to back the data up, the server decides to freeze on us, rendering the network as useless and lots of unhappy staff. I ensured that the Advanced Open File Option was selected, and that the 'Automatically select open file technology' was checked, but it still froze. Can anyone help me, as im stuck as to what else to do.

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Please explain the environment and configuration..

--Is this a local or remote folder ?
--Can you cory some files from these folder and what is the copy speed ?
--have you tried backingup without AOFO ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

Shay_Withnall
Level 3
Thank you for your reply. We are currently using Windows 2003 Server environment with Veritas Backup Exec 9.1. The folders that we are trying to backup are local to the server backing them up. I havent tried copying the files, but i assume that the system has the access to it. We have backed the relevant data up on a nightly backup and all seemed to work fine, however, the problem is that we need to back this data up in the day as the nightly backup is different. With regards to the AOFO, by turning this off won't it struggle even more?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Do you receive any events in the event logs?

-- Does it create any problems when you do not use the Aofo durning the backup?

Thank You,

Shweta