cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup is slow to backup

chicojrman
Level 6
Have a win 2003 SBS sp2, Server is new Dell PE1900 with 4gb of ram, BE 12.0 rev. 1364 sp3. Only have 1 job which is a full backup that takes on average 13hours to backup 31gbs of data on Internal IBM Ultrium-hh3 LTO drive. Driver for the device is Veritas. I'm backing up Exchange and SQL, do not have AOFO selected pretty much cut and dry setup. I have "remote agent for Win and nw servers installed. Want to be able to make the job run faster. Symantec Endpoint protection is installed but scan doesn't interfer with it.
Other options selected for the full backup are:
Full - using archive bit (reset archive bit)
Verify after backup completes
Compression type: hardware
MS sql = full -bkup entire db on file group, continue w/bakcup if consistancy check fails, consistancy b4 backup (physical check only)
MS exchange info store bkups full - db & logs(flush committed logs) - check box for "use bkup exec CRT to enable the restore of individual mailboxes enabled.
6 REPLIES 6

Scott_Meltzer
Level 4
I take it that MS Exchange and SQL are running on different servers?  If so, what type of network are you working with? 10/100 or Gigabit?  

I would also recommend doing a performance baseline on your Backup Exec server.  Try to see what the processor utilization and network utilization looks like during the backup.

Also, backing up MS Exchange using GRT will slow things down a bit more, but it still doesn't entirely explain your problem.

chicojrman
Level 6
It's an SBS box Sql and exchange on the same svr. Gigabit. intel xeon cpu e5310 1.6ghz

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

If you shut down all BackupExec services and use NTBackup, what kind of times to you get?

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner

hi chicojrman,

try to run tapeinst.exe to update your tape drives then restart media server for updated driver to take effect on tape drives.

regards.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Does encryption option is enabled?if so basically that is cause maybe

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Check to ensure that Removable Storage is disabled. I've written before on other posts that I increase the buffer, which tends to speed things up a bit.
Is that HP tape drive attached to the same SCSI card as the drives? This could also interfere with your backup speeds, as the drive should decrease it's speed to that of the drives, and cause a possible clash on that bus.
Have you tried a backup-to-disk to see what sorts of speed you're getting there?