cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job causes remote server to lock up

Tom_Breh
Level 3
I'm having an issue where one of my file servers locks up hard every night at the end of the backup job that includes it and must be manually reset every morning. The job includes backing up two drives on this particular server, drives C: and E:. If I look at the job history for the previous day, I can see the start and end times as the following:

C:
Start time : Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:59:39 PM
End time : Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:00:24 PM

E:
Start time : Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:00:24 PM
End time : Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:30:04 PM

The error message from the job log for the E: drive states:

"Error : e00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors"

When I look at the Event Viewer for that server, I see the following under the System log:

"The previous system shutdown at 7:12:06 PM on 3/2/2006 was unexpected."

No other events look suspect. I have tried disabling both antivirus and defrag related services, but to no avail. The only common thread is that the system locks up within minutes of the backup job "finishing," regardless of what time it runs.

Any ideas what to check for and/or how to fix this issue.
7 REPLIES 7

Tom_Breh
Level 3
This is definitely BE related as I took this server out of the selection list on Friday and it has not locked up. The only thing that has changed is that it was not being backed up this weekend.

Tom_Breh
Level 3
This is still an issue.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Are you using AOFO..?

If yes, deactivate AOFO and verify the results..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Tom_Breh
Level 3
No, AOFO is not being used.

I submitted a request using Direct Assist and the technician had me update the tape library drivers. This has seemed to solve the issue, however, the remote server has locked up once out of the previous three nights. I resubmitted a case using Direct Assist again yesterday, but I'm still waiting for it to be assigned.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Tom,

Since when does the problem occur? Is this a remote server?

Refer to the following technote which might help resolve the issue:

"A timeout occurred waiting for data from the agent during operation shutdown" or "The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors" (a00084f8 HEX or e00084f8 HEX) is reported during a backup operation.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Tom_Breh
Level 3
This has been happening for a few weeks now and it is a remote server in the sense that it is not the media server. It is physically located in the same datacenter (on the same network and subnet) as the BE media server.

I went over everything in the document you referenced and it all looks good. I can try to update the NIC drivers, but by all counts, it is functioning properly.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the late response.

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.