cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of files on a NetApp

TopeTaiwotp2
Level 3

If i can get anybody to help i will be happy,

I am backing up my file server on a NetApp FAS2020. I have NDMP option trial to be licensed soon.

The backup completes but tells me access denied with this error The job failed with the following error: Access is denied.  0xe0008488 - Access is denied.

i only one account and it is added to the Backup Exec accounts list.

What can be wrong? Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The point is 

CIFS/Share level backusp still require an agent for windows license

CIFS/Share level backups can be slower than NDMP Option Backups

NDMP Option backups can write straight to a tape library attached to the back of the NDMP device

There are some negatives though

i.e. you must restore to NDMP device if backed up using NDMP option - no restore to media server

LUN's are backed up as a single file - no ability to restore individual files

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Tope,

You can refer to the TN below on how to troubleshoot this.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56722

Are you using the NDMP option in trial mode currently? Is it still valid?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

If backing up via NDMP option, then NDMP must be enabled on the filer and the FAS device must be added as a NDMP server in the Backup & Restore tab.

Although, if you are backing using CIFS, then NDMP must be disabled on the filer and the FAS device must be added as a regular file server. The option " Enable selection of user shares" must be enabled as well.

Are you using a "root" account for FAS backup ? If yes, is this root account added under logon accounts and specified under "Test credentials" tab for this FAS filer ?

TopeTaiwotp2
Level 3

Hi VJware,

I am using root as the account and it is added to the logon accounts. There is no other account on the NetApp.

When i test the credentials, it is successful.

TopeTaiwotp2
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thank you.

I just started using he NDMP trial 4 days ago it is still valid.

I do not have Back up files and directories by following symbolic links selected. only the one for junction points. I will uncheck it as stated in the link.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot follow junction points when you are doing a NDMP backup because a NDMP backup sort of just dump the whole disk

You should not turn on AOF when you are backing up a NAS because the NAS is unable to do a snapshot.

As for the remote agent message, you would just have to live with it.  There is no way to get rid of it.

TopeTaiwotp2
Level 3

Hello Vjware,

Thank you for your response. I guess i hv to. But what is the point in buying the NDMP option if there are ways to backup the system without NDMP option.

Symantec has to look into this idea of getting the exceptions for the non-remote agent devices.

Colin_Weaver

The point is 

CIFS/Share level backusp still require an agent for windows license

CIFS/Share level backups can be slower than NDMP Option Backups

NDMP Option backups can write straight to a tape library attached to the back of the NDMP device

There are some negatives though

i.e. you must restore to NDMP device if backed up using NDMP option - no restore to media server

LUN's are backed up as a single file - no ability to restore individual files