cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup only newest files

seag33k
Level 4

We have a directory with a number of sub directories each with three files.

MAINDIR

SUBDIR1

FILE1

FILE2

FILE3 - Newest File

SUBDIR2

FILE1

FILE2

FILE3 - Newest File

I'd like to backup only the newest file in each of the directories.  Is there any mechanism in BE 2010 R3 that could accomplish this?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6

Does file1 or File2 also get touched?  But that file 3 is the newest version of the bunch?

Why wouldn't a typical incremental work?  Or differential for that matter?  Additionally using the NTFS change journal has been known in some cases to speed up those processes too. (i.e. an option within BE)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can use the exclude/include feature to select files from a certain date range.

seag33k
Level 4

Thanks for the excellent input.  The 3 files are daily backups of databases using a 3rd party tool and we only want the latest backup of each selected for our BE jobs.  Given that these files are backup files, I don't think using incremental or differentlal would work because there is now way to only copy what has changed from one version to another.  If we use the date range, then we'd have to update this field each week.

Thanks for the ideas!  

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Given that these files are backup files, I don't think using incremental or differentlal would work because there is now way to only copy what has changed from one version to another.

That's not the way that INCR/DIFF work.  You are thinking of a DeDupe run, and Backup Exec figures out which segments have been changed all by itself

If a file is new and has never been backed up, then an INCR  will grab all of it.  The next time a backup runs it will be ignored, unless a change has been made to the file, then the whole thing will be backed up again

Using DIFF, all files created/changed since the last FULL will be backed up

seag33k
Level 4

Yikes, you are correct! My brain has been too focused on DeDupe :)

Thanks for re-education on basic backup concepts!