cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup process flow

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi . Any idea where I can find  backup process flow  for Backup exec. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Kind of depends on what you are backing up. Some of the flow will be in the admin guide (but probably not the detail you are after)

However if you are more specific about which type of backup (or restore) process you are asking about and what sort of information you are looking for we might be able to answer.

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...a normal backup environment with a media server and remote servers will see all data flow from the remote servers through the media server to the backup device.

Using Enterprise Server Option with SAN SSO, each SAN-attached server can backup directly to a SAN-attached tape library for instance if they have a full version of BE installed. Metadata MIGHT flow to the SAN SSO server if it has CASO, but backup data will not as the remote servers access the device directly.

These are 2 examples of data flow.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

Kind of depends on what you are backing up. Some of the flow will be in the admin guide (but probably not the detail you are after)

However if you are more specific about which type of backup (or restore) process you are asking about and what sort of information you are looking for we might be able to answer.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...a normal backup environment with a media server and remote servers will see all data flow from the remote servers through the media server to the backup device.

Using Enterprise Server Option with SAN SSO, each SAN-attached server can backup directly to a SAN-attached tape library for instance if they have a full version of BE installed. Metadata MIGHT flow to the SAN SSO server if it has CASO, but backup data will not as the remote servers access the device directly.

These are 2 examples of data flow.

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi Craig / Colin, 

thanks for the inputs however I was looking at something more detailed like symantec has for netbackup.

Colin_Weaver

This might sound strange as we do work for the same company, but as a Backup Exec Engineer I am not familar with the NetBackup documents you refer to (and most BE engineers would be unfamilar with NetBackup as the two products only share a relatively small amount of code)

Do you have links for what you refer to?

I suspect we are not going to have anything like the same level of public documentation purely because NetBackup typically is installed in large environments where the staff managing the environment are very very technical and therefore can make a lot of manual adjustments to their environment and need to understand the effects. Backup Exec is typically installed in smaller environments where the customer expectation is more of a plug and play solution  and therefore the detail ('knitty gritty') of what goes on in the background is not usually needed.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Jinxnbu,

I have attended both NBU and Backup Exec training. Unlike NetBackup, I have not seen any detailed backup process for Backup Exec. The most closest is the topic where it discussed "Essential of Backup Exec Components" and "Operational Functionality".

Regards,

Adonis