cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup speed is getting too slow

Jesus_I_Belong_
Level 3
Greetings, Please help me on this issue below. I am running Backup Exec 11d and Dell PowerVault LTO-060 here. We have 4 Dell servers here. Starting at a month ago, the full backup speed which was normally running for only 12 hours, now it goes up to 32 hours. I have tried few steps that I found in this forum, such as - split the job to each servers and drives - reinstall BE - configure the NIC settings (change auto detect to full/half duplex 100Mbps) and still the problem is not solve yet When I split the job into seperate jobs and drives, I found that the speed is drop when processing backup on the two remote servers (10 to 65 MBps). It running well on the other two servers. Still do not know yet why, I have tried defrag but it said that it is not needed yet. Please help me on this. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jesus_I_Belong_
Level 3
Greetings Friends,

I have found the solution of this issue. It was caused by a bad LAN cable connected to one of the servers.

Thanks for your help.

All the best!

Andre

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Basic troubleshooting:

1) Download & install the latest service pack of 11d (SP5) then updated your remote agents.

2) Also update your device drivers, Run tapeinst.exe from X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec.

3) After updating the drivers restart all BE services.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

What changed in your environment to cause the decrease in speeds? Have you looked at restarting your backup server (assuming it is a separate server with no other roles on it)? Besides the obvious hardware issues that BE can alert you too, Windows can sometimes slow the whole system down as well.

Laters!

Jesus_I_Belong_
Level 3
Hello Friends..

The Backup server is running some other functions and services as well. It is not a "backup server only".
If it is a Windows or hardware issue, what can do to check it? Is there a tool or a way to figure it out?

Does the software/drivers upgrading will help?

Really appreciate your help.

CraigV
Yes, it could help you. Might contain updates, but it still doesn't address why your environment has become slow.
Were there any Windows updates? Did you use LiveUpdate? Are you able to restart your backup device and see if that makes any difference?

Jesus_I_Belong_
Level 3
Hello Craig,

Really appreciate you help.

We are using WSUS here.There are no Windows Updates when this issue was started. There was a problem with a degraded disk in the backup server, but it is solved.

I have reboot the whole system (including the backup device) twice.

CraigV
Mmm...I had the same issue with a failed disk in an HP ProLiant server. That fixed my problem in my case.
Have you tried repairing your backup job? Have you tried copying files between your media server and the remote servers to eliminate the problem of network congestion?

Jesus_I_Belong_
Level 3
Yes, I have tried copying big files over the network, and the speed is become too slow on those servers/drives just the same as the backup speed issue.

I found this articles in the Microsoft site that might be related.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822219&SD=tech

I will try to update the device drivers and also upgrade to BE 12, I will let you know the results.

Jesus_I_Belong_
Level 3
Greetings Friends,

I have found the solution of this issue. It was caused by a bad LAN cable connected to one of the servers.

Thanks for your help.

All the best!

Andre