cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup strategy to external USB-HDDs

support12
Level 2
Dear experts,

We are using BackupExec 12.5 SP2. We would like to backup to several external usb hard disks, which will be daily swapped. I would like the ability to be able to restore any file on any day for up to 1 year. I believe the following grandfather-father-son strategy needs to be setup:

Week1-3:
  • M-T: Differential
  • F: Full (week1-3)
Week4
  • M-T: Differential
  • F: Full (month)
However, not sure how I can set this up. My weekly or monthly full backps should not get overwritten. How do I best setup such a strategy?

Thanks for your help / comments.

2 REPLIES 2

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You need to set up your media set such that it does not allow overwriting the tape
For eg
you can create a media set for the mothly backup and sett the overwrite proptection period (OPP) = 1 year for the weekly backup You can set a overwrite protection period of 1 month  so every monthy the weekly backup will get overwriten
and you can set a overwrite protection period on teh differentail backup as 6 day or 1 week so every week the differential backup gets overwritten
You can read the following document so you would have better understanding about setting up the OPP and APP in the medai set
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
However, not sure how I can set this up. My weekly or monthly full backps should not get overwritten. How do I best setup such a strategy?

As Rahul says, make the Weeklky and Monthly jobs write to their own media sets and set the OPP to 1 year

Just out of curiosity, how big are your Weekly and Monthly jos?  How many USB drives/Wat size drives  are you planning for in your Rotation?