cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-Disk-Folders are going Offline

tow-eric
Level 3
Hi,
I am running 11d, and have been encountering some randomn problems. I have numerous backup-to-disk-folders that are being stored on Lacie 2TB network storage devices. Occasionally one or two jobs will fail and it will be because the folder has gone "offline". But I can browse to that directory no problem. It is only happening to a few of the jobs where the rest are working fine on the same device. Any ideas what is causing this or if there is a fix for this??

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Guy_Durant
Level 2
I am having the same problem with 10d.  I was hoping that upgrading would solve the problem, but it sounds like 11d also is doing it.  I too find that Network Backup-to-disk folders (NAS devices) are going offline during backup, I put them online and it only intermittently works.  Although the share is available fine to windows.

Is there a way to make BACKUP Exec ignore or Retry putting the device online if it goes offline?  It is only Backup Exec saying the device is offline anyway.  This is a Backup Exec problem.  Windows sees the Volume Mapped Drive with no problem.  I don't understand the sensitivity issue and how can we control when the Mapped Network Backup-to-Disk Volume is marked offline?  How can we automatically set the device to "ONLINE" without manually going in each time and marking it Online?

-Guy

smholden
Level 3
I, too, am experiencing problems with remote Backup-to-Disk folders falling offline.  As mentioned above, Windows can access the folder without fail.  Backup Exec, however, takes the "device" offline as soon as a backup job attempts to write to it.

Anybody else?? Let's keep this going.

Thanks in advance.

tow-eric
Level 3
I had talked with tech support and they had told me the device I was using (Lacie 2tb network attached storage) was not supported because it had an embedded OS. Funny thing is some of them work without any issue there is just 2 or 3 that always have issues. I might look into testing some other Backup software.

smholden
Level 3
Chew on this...

I deleted the backup-to-disk device from Backup Exec, and deleted the folder.cfg and changer.cfg files from the directory it was pointed at.  I then recreated the device, exactly the same as before and pointing to the same destination folder, and my backup last night ran to completion with no errors.  Man Surprised

I'll keep an eye on it...