cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk recommendation

JJara
Level 3

Currently I have some hardware problems with my tape bakup, so I have to use a Network Storage for the backup, I have 1Tb of storage available and my backups (exchange and files) are about  300Gb each full backups, so I don't want settup full backups on the disk. I read something about incremental or differential backups so considerating that I have only 1Tb and is a hard disk (no tapes) I 'm not sure if use differential or incremental backup.

What do you recommend me in this scenario?

Warm regards.

JJ

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello JJ,

In this scenario I would recommend the following:

1) Create a Backup To Disk folder (B2D) on the Disk using the technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77762 "

2) Create 2 media sets and named them as FULL and DIFFERENTIAL

3) Set the Overwrite Protection Period of FULL Media set as 6 days

4) Set the Overwrite Protection Period of DIFFERENTIAL Media set as 6 days

5) Create two backup jobs using the same selections (FULL backup and DIFFERENTIAL backup)

6) Schedule the FULL backup to run on any one day of the week (usually weeekends)

7) In the FULL backup properties select the destination device as B2D and select the Media set as FULL Media set

8) Schedule the DIFFERENTIAL backup to run on all days other than the Full backup day

9) In the DIFFERENTIAL backup properties select the destination device as B2D and select the Media set as DIFFERENTIAL Media set

Explanation: What this setup will do is during the Full backup it will backup all your data on the Disk. Then in the Differential backup it will backup only the changed data from last full backup set. When the Full backup will run it will be keep the backup file for 6 days after which it will overwrite during the next full backup job. This will help to reclaim (reuse) the space on the drive and the drive not get full

During the Differential backup it will backup the data which is changed from last Full backup. And as the Overwrite Protection is set to 1 day it will keep the backup file for one day and will overwrite during the next diffrential and again this will help is reclaiming the space on the disk which will avoid the disk to get full at any given time.

Thanks,

-Sush...

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are concerened about the GRT exchange backup where you can restore the individual mails then instead of doing differential do the incremental as differential can't provide the GRT . So as you are running the backups on disk please go for full backup and incremental backups if looking for GRT exchange backup.

JJara
Level 3

Thanks I will read the technote

JJara
Level 3

Good point to know... hummmm

I have two different jobs Exchange and Files when I used tape drives, my backups are FULL and I enable GRT for Exchange.

So now that I have to setup a B2D jobs:

For Exchange 2007:

- One job with FULL backup with GRT enabled

- Another INCREMENTAL job for GRT, because DIFFERENTIAL can't be used with GRT

For Files:

- One job with FULL backup

- Another DIFFERENTIAL job for GRT, because DIFFERENTIAL can't be used with GRT

This following the recommendations of Sush

I'm right?