cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk then Backup to Tape

Tim_O_Brien_2
Level 4
For the last week I have been trying to run a job which backups up to disk then if successful will backup to tape. I keep getting an error which states "A duplicate backup set template must use a destination device that can be accessed by the same media service as the device specified for the original backup set". I have read this issue in a section of the admin guide but it's not helpful and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I see both machines from my Central Managed Server but don't understand this accessing isssue? Any help will be appreciated I'm about to jump out of a window!
3 REPLIES 3

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
When duplicating existing backup sets, the backup sets selected from catalogs are read from the source media and the source media should be accessible to the MEDIA server on which DUPLICATE Backup is running.

Could you please eloborate on steps you have performed for DUPLICATE backup job along with CMS and MMS server setup.

Tim_O_Brien_2
Level 4
I have physically attached both the Disk Array and Tape Machine to the same computer and I have successfully completed a backup to Disk and if successfully backed up it will backup to Tape. Is it true that both the tape machine and disk needs to be physically connected to the machine. I'm surprised that this would be the case and I have not seem anything documented. I would perfer to run a backup to disk and if successfully completes then backup to tape which would be located in another location and attached on another computer.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
The Tape drive on which you would like to fire the duplicate backup job should be connected locally to the Backup Exec media server.

As an additional information, kindly refer the following technote link.

Title:- How to duplicate backup sets in Backup Exec 9.x/10.0 for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255866.htm

We hope this helps.