cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Tape fails, but no error message.

Wally_Beast
Level 2
I know this configuration belongs in the V&A museum but I have a Dell server running NT 4 and backing up itself and a couple of folders from a 'remote' server (albeit in the next rack) to a Dell Powervault 122T LTO-1 drive. The jobs have all run quite happily for years but have recently begun, with increasing frequency, to fail at the end of the backup but before the Verify phase has started.

The problem I have is that the Job Log indicates a status of "Failed", with a Final Error Code of ffffa030 and Final Error Desc of 0xa000a030.  Howver, there are no actual errors listed. The codes given do not appear in the Symantec Knowledge Base site and our organisation has no support agreement with Symantec - probably due to the age of the O/S.

The Error Category displayed in the Final Status box in the log file says "Other Errors". This singularly unhelpful.

Today, just to be different, the same backup today failed with an error code of ffff9368, an error desc of 0xa0009368 and Final status of "Other Errors". Again, I can find no explanation of the error. 

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Kind of a voodoo support approach, but try creating a new Selection List from scratch as well as recreating the job(s) from scratch.

If you do a "Run Now"  on one of these jobs does it complete OK?

Wally_Beast
Level 2
Thanks for the advice Ken.

As luck would have it, we tried setting up an identical backup set on a separate backup server. It worked fine so we had been intending to leave this fallback job running.  However, since setting it up, the original 'flakey' job has been working fine - 4 times in a row now!Smiley Mad

Don't you just love computers?

I shall take your advice should the problem return.