cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to device or partion when using a library

Shaun_Owens
Level 3

I have a robotic library with 2 writing heads, head 1 = IBM 1 and Head 2 = IBM3.  MY backup jobs are configured to write to head 1 if it's a vitual machine and head 2 if it's a physical server.  I am getting ready to start creating IDR backups so I partioned the libray into 2 partions. Partion 1 = slots 1-20 and partion 2 = slots 21 and 22, I plan to use slots 21 and 22 for my IDR backups.  My question is do I need to change my backup jobs to use partion 1 instead of head 1 or head 2?  Does this make sense? I was hoping that I could just select partion 2 as the device when needed and keep my backup jobs configured the same way that they are now.

Thanks
Shaun

Menu · Private Note · request created on 06/ 1/2010, 03:14 PM

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
First of all, activating IDR does not change the backup job in any way.  What activating IDR does is to write a .dr after the backup is done.  This .dr file points to the latest backup   You then use the IDR Wizard to create the IDR bootable ISO image.  You don't have to change your backup job at all.

With this, I don't know whether you are still planning to partition your library.  If you are, in the Device and Media section of your job properties, you can specify which tape dirve, e.g IBM 1,  to use in the Device property and the partition in the Media Set property.  You create the appropriate media in the partition first.