cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disk, device out of free space. But it's not!

Rapha_l_Langell
Level 3
Hi,
I've configured about 15 servers to use backup-to-disk. The network disks used are N2100 from thecus (http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=1).
About half of the servers report a media warning "Backup-to-Disk device is out of free space". But it's not. There's plenty of free space. Most of the times, it does that right from the beginning, when the disk is empty, but sometimes I got the error after a few backups (there's still a lot of free space).
I checked access rights, the BE system account can write perfectly fine on the disks, I can copy files without problem, but when I try to start a backup, I got this Media Warning alert.
I installed SP1, but it didn't help.
Any idea?
15 REPLIES 15

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What are the properties of the B2D FOLDER(s) on the NAS box?

Rapha_l_Langell
Level 3
I'm not sure I understand your question, but mostly, I left default options. I only set disk space reserved to the size of the disk.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting any errors in the event logs?

Regards,

Rapha_l_Langell
Level 3
I only get "The Backup-to-Disk device is out of free space!" and "Please insert overwritable media into the drive." alerts, that's all.

James_Papp
Level 2
Any chance this is going to get answered? I'm having the same issue.

Rapha_l_Langell
Level 3
> Any chance this is going to get answered? I'm having
> the same issue.

it's unlikely. I've contacted the email support about this. They told me to check this page for compatibility : http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/237737.htm

Here's what the said page has to say about B2D on a NAS box :

IV. Creating Backup to Disk folders on NAS Devices
If a NAS device is emulating Windows, and is not truly a Windows operating system, please confer with the NAS manufacturer for assistance before creating backup to disk (B2D) folders on the NAS device. Symantec does not certify NAS devices, and if the operating system is not a true Windows operating system, Symantec cannot properly troubleshoot the issue because the operating system is a proprietary operating system.

So if it isn't a real computer running a real Windows, it's not supported. Forget about your NAS box running Samba on Linux or BSD.

James_Papp
Level 2
Well, actually, I'm having the problem backing up to a workstation running Windows XP Pro, so I hope they can help.

mark_woods
Level 3
I have tried doing backups / restores to NAS and have had all sorts of problems, with both backup and restore failures. Looking through the backupexec documentation it seems to be something you do at your own risk.....in the end I decided it was not worth that hassle.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-- Try recreating Backup-to-disk and then run a backup job

-- Also do not select any DISK RESERVE and try once

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

Rapha_l_Langell
Level 3
> Hi,
>
> -- Try recreating Backup-to-disk and then run a
> backup job

already tried that

> -- Also do not select any DISK RESERVE and try once

what is DISK RESERVE ?

Leon_Kupershtok
Level 3
Hi,

Try http://support.veritas.com/docs/282970
http://support.veritas.com/docs/283264Message was edited by:
Leon Kupershtok

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Could you please update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Jason_Simotas
Level 2
I'm having the same problem but it only popped up after the 11d upgrade

One thig that's strange in your message though:
" I only set disk space reserved to the size of the disk. "

The reserve tells it when to stop filling up the disk so if you set it to the size of the disk it will never have free space to use.

I'm not using a reserve.

legersyman
Not applicable
Partner
Hello Jason,

Did you find  out what the problem is.
I have the same issue.
I can copy anything to the disk but if I make a backup to disk with Backup Exec I got the error message that you also have.

I hope to here from you.

Tnx

Ronnie
(The netherlands)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What is the Disk Space Reserve for the B2D Device?

As mentioned above, Disk Space Reserve is the space reserved for NON Backup Exec data, so it the DSR is larger than the free space, Backup Exec will condsider the disk  as being full