cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Evaluation

mhchu23
Level 2
I have downloaded a evaluation version of backup exec 12.5 from symantec.com, install it without enter any product key (the evaluation period has expired). I would like to know (I have placed order from the purchasing dept in my company but not yet received the perm. license). And now, I have uninstall the backup exec and try to use NT Backup, but seems backup exec cause NT backup can't recognize the backup tape even I use the new tape (never used in backup exec before). What I would like to try now is can I retrieve a evaluation key from my local sales, install backup exec again and use that evaluation key to extend the evaluation period until the perm. license received?
7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You need to contact the Customer care dept so they can provide you a temprorary license key  which would extend your evalaution period

mhchu23
Level 2
Yes, I will do this but I just want to confirm this approach is works. Please kindly adivse. Thx

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
They are the only one who can provide you the extended evalaution license key . or need to contact ur retailer and see if he can provide you the NFR lincese key

mhchu23
Level 2
What is NFR license key?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
And now, I have uninstall the backup exec and try to use NT Backup, but seems backup exec cause NT backup can't recognize the backup tape even I use the new tape (never used in backup exec before) -- Verify Removable Storage is running and you are running the Vendor provided drivers for the tape drive. Symantec drivers are NOT digitally signed so with them installed NTBackup can not use the drive.

To extend your eval perioud you will need to do as Rahul suggested, contact Customer Care or your Sales rep to see about obtaining an eval extender.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
NFR = Not For Resale.  These are normally kept in house or given to specific customers.  Customer Care will not be giving you an NFR key. You need to get an Eval Extender if possible.

mhchu23
Level 2
Noted and thx!