cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk folders goes Off-line

Steven_Andrade
Level 4
Hello,

I have 10 SATA II 250GB removable hard drives. Every time I take one of the hard drives out and put in another hard drive, the backup job will go offline when the job starts. The jobs are created on a backup-to-disk folder. I can go to that folder (before the job starts) and right click and click on scan which will cause the drive to go offline, but than I can right click again and click on online and the job will work fine. The thing is I do not want to do that every day. I just want to plug in the hard drive and forget about it.

Any help would be great

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

This may happen if the disk is in a full state and is offline.

In the application log of the Event Viewer, are you getting the error: Event ID: 33808 ?

Please refer to following technote in this context:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/236295

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steven_Andrade
Level 4
Yes I do get the Event ID, and what the Doc said is what I do already, and that is what I want to stop doing, I should not need to every time I put in a removable hard drive, go to devices right click on the Backup-to-Disk folder click on Scan, and see the backup-to-disk folder go offline and than right click on it again and click online. If I forget to do that, the job will become held until I right click on that backup-to-disk folder and click online for the job to start.

Would going to Removable Backup-Disk Devices be a better idea? If so I have four jobs that run to the removable hard drive,(at 8PM, 10PM, 12AM, and 5AM) and two of the jobs will overlaps each other (8PM, and 10PM). From what I read is that you can't do concurrent operations. So does that mean, only one of those two jobs will run? And I can not change the time the jobs run. They have to run at those specific times.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

If you have 10 SATA II 250GB removable hard drives,you have to create removable B2D !

No Concurrent operations will be run on the same B2D !

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steven_Andrade
Level 4
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Just have one thing to understand.

I have 4 jobs each has its own Backup-to-disk folder. If I created four Removeable Backup-to-Disk devices would this allow me to have two jobs running at the same time going to the same removeable hard drive?

Thanks,
Steven

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Steven,

Removable B2D is an external drive which you have to put manually. At the same time you can not put 2 drives.

If it is a normal B2D, you can run jobs at a time.

But in this case you cant run jobs at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Steven_Andrade
Level 4
Yup this answers my question. I can not create more than one Removable B2D going to the same location. Unlike normal B2D I can have multiple B2D going to the same hard drive.

Since I need to have four jobs and two of the jobs will alway overlap I can't use removable B2D options. Which means I am alway going to have the Offline problem. guess I have to deal with it.

Thanks for the help.