cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk jobs - number of images available

Chrisb2012
Level 3

I currently have a job that backs up the Exchange databases to disk, a duplicate job then runs which copies the B2D to tape.

The backup to Disk job is holding 2 nights worth of the backups on the disk. Is there a way I can reduce this to only hold 1 night which gets overwritten the following day?

I've looked at all the options but dont seem to be able to find anything.

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

... yould set the retention period on the media set used for the B2D job.

Thanks!

Chrisb2012
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I thought that too, this media set is used by another job too and that only stores 1 backup.

The settings for the media set are currently set to 12 hours overwrite and 12 hours append yet I still get 2 days of Exchange backups.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you set the job to overwrite? How long does your job takes? If it takes more than 12 hours then the backup set would not have expired when the next night's job runs. The OPP starts from the end of the job writing the backup set

Chrisb2012
Level 3

Thanks,

The job is set to overwrite and takes less than 2 hours to complete.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check your joblogs and see whether your jobs are overwriting the same .bkf file.  If so, then the other .bkf is redundant and can be deleted.  In the Media tab, associate it with the Retired Media set, right-click on it and select delete.  This will delete it from BE.  You would have to go to the disk to delete it physically.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

And under global options, are the jobs set to use recyclable media before scratch media or vice-versa ?