cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk using too much resources

klotom
Level 3

My BE server is also my network log server. while my backup to disk job is running it is using 100% of the NIC ( 1 GB NIC and network backbone) and disk resources. During this period I can't record any logs. Is there a way to throttle back this job so it doesn't eat all of the resources?

6 REPLIES 6

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

1 Please let me know were is the backup to disk folder configured is it created on the local drive of backup server or on remote server & what is type of hard disk

2 Please let me know when the backup job run which process has the highes memory utilization by going to task manager you can confirm the same

3 Is there any antivirus on the computer if yes disable it for isolation & check if that helps

4 Have this worked ever

Please let me know with updates so that we can fix this

Thank You

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above also check what size you have set for the B2D files.

klotom
Level 3

The B2D file is local on the backup server.

The B2D size is set at 4GB.

I will check the anti virus for Isolation and see if that helps today

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for the update & will wait for your next update

Thank You

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

What? I don't understand the reasoning behind the other answers here.

klotom, most people with a Backup Exec performance problem are trying to diagnose a slow backup speed. You appear to have the opposite problem - Backup Exec is saturating your NIC and hard disk performance. If you're saturating a gigabit NIC, that's pretty good performance!

Backup Exec doesn't have a method of throttling the transfer. You could try reducing the priority of the remote agent (in Job Setup, Advanced), but that's really designed to prevent all the resources being eaten up on the remote server, not the media server. It's worth trying though.

The obvious answer (and you might not like it) is to put Backup Exec and the log server on separate hardware. If your log server fails when it runs low on resources, then you should keep it away from other applications that eat up resources (like Backup Exec)!

klotom
Level 3

381940K Adaptive server anywhere network server (symantec Endpoint protection)

257928K watchguard webblocker server

118892K Symantec endpoint protection manager

87188K Symantec backup exec