cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup2Disk Setup Incremental on Mon-Thu, Full on Friday

bickyz
Level 4

Hi I have Backup Exec 2010 R2. Currently backup exec is configured to backup to tapes. Monday to Thursday it does incremental backup on 4 tapes and Friday it does full backup on another 2 tapes.

How do i setup something similar to Disk. I have 8TB NAS.

I want

incremental backup on mon, tue, wed, thur - (on 1 or 4 folders)
full backup on friday - week 1 folder

then again same incremental backup mon, tue, wed, thur - overwriting lastweek incremental backup folders
full backup on friday - week 2 folder

then again same incremental backup mon, tue, wed, thur - overwriting lastweek incremental backup folders
full backup on friday - week 3 folder

full backup on friday - week 4 folder

full backup on friday - week 5 folder

Now after week 5 the week 1 folder needs to be overwritten; so i will have one month data that can be restored if required.

If there is any other best practice than mine please suggest me. Help will be much appreciated.

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

There really is no need to put backups in separate folders.  As long as you use different media sets with proper Overwrite Protection

So, create one B2D device/Folder.  Make both INCR and FULL jobs Overwrite only, not Append

Create an INCR media set.  Set OPP to 41 days and APP to Zero

Create a FULL media set.  Use the same settings

(I say use two media sets in case you want to change the retention later on)

If you are also doing GRT enabled backups, they will create IMG folders as well as BKF files

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As Ken said, you should be using 1 B2D folder.  Since a job can only target 1 B2D folder, the more folders that you have, the more jobs are needed even if they are actually the same job.

be-nugget
Level 5

You may also want to use policies so you are able to duplicate these backups to your NAS automatically or at a scheduled time, saves you having lots of jobs and cuts down on administration.

bickyz
Level 4

I am waiting for the new NAS to be arrrived, once I tested it I will feedback here.

thanks to everyone for the support.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Where did the OP say anything about duplication?

The way I read his post he will be writing directly to the NAS