cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 R2 Deduplication issues

BE_ADMIN2010
Level 3

Hi there,

Over the past few weeks my BE 2010 R2 server has developed some rather problematic issues which I cannot seem to resolve. It is currently runnning on Windows 2008 x64 R2.

Issues:

1)When duplicating jobs to tape from the dedupe store, it is painfully slow. it averages about 8mb's per min, which is ridiculous. I cancel the job and restart the services and its back up to 1018mb's again. This is unnacceptable as I should have to restart the service any time. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

2) Jobs fail with the error : S_TF_NO_TAPE_PRESENT. Apparently it is to do with the locations of the database and catalog files being on the same drive. Has anybody else any advice or experience with this error?

3)I have started recieving the error "V-79-57344-33037" Error Mount Failed. There is +/- 500gb's free on the drive with the dedupe store on and I have checked the media sets and there is loads of Scratch media available.

4)Error e00001200 is another, which occurs whenever I try to do a GRT based backup to the dedupe store.

I cant believe that Symantec would release a product when it works for a period of time and then "Breaks" for no apparent reason.

If anybody can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Steel
Level 3

The rate that the dedupe jobs work vary from 3500 MB/min to 300 MB/min for the same jobs.   Even the duplicate to tape jobs vary wildly.   The dedupe program is nice when it works but doesn't seem consistent in performance.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your first problem could be due to the fact that dedup will hydrate the data first before backing them onto tape.

Eric_Steel
Level 3

That would make sense if the performance was consistent.  For example, I backed up two Exchange mailbox servers after hours when usage is at a minimal, one has 155 GB the 165 GB, both are similar size and identical configuration.   But day to day the performance for dedupe and dupe to tape can vary wildly.

Dedupe:

Svr1 - 2859 MB/Min

Svr2 - 644 MB/Min

Duplicate to Tape:

Svr1 - 635 MB/Min

Svr2 - 709 MB/Min

The day before, for the same servers running the same jobs, the rates were

Dedupe:

Svr1 - 2852 MB/Min

Svr2 - 2142 MB/Min

Duplicate to Tape:

Svr1 - 1572 MB/Min