cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2012 - Error GRT on Sharepoint

BFL
Level 3

Dear all,

We have been using BE for a time now and we start using GRT for our Backups. It's an extremely useful feature, but it seems to be not working on SharePoint environments

We have VMware 5.1 and all other GRT's do work properly (Exchange, SQL, File server etc.) but I always get the same message on SharePoint vm's:

"Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine '\(DC)mydomain(DC)\vm\Cluster Name\Machine-Name' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup."

I do know that this is a known issue with VMware 5.1 and Backup exec 2012, but when I was using VMware 5.0 I had the same issue.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

That would be considered a distributed setup. The only solution would be to move it ion the same server. Thill then you could perform a non GRT backup of these VMs and perform a full GRT backup of SharePoint server using a SharePoint agent (traditional RAWS backup).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Is this a single server setup of Sharepoint as a multi server setup is not supported for GRT using a hyper-V or VMWare agent..

To add support for VMware 5.1 using BE 2012 you could register for beta here.

BFL
Level 3

Hi Jaydeep!

I have all sharepoint websites hosted on a single server, but the database in another.

Do you know if there's a workaround to backup using GRT or should I give up at all and disable GRT for my sharepoint vm's?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

That would be considered a distributed setup. The only solution would be to move it ion the same server. Thill then you could perform a non GRT backup of these VMs and perform a full GRT backup of SharePoint server using a SharePoint agent (traditional RAWS backup).

BFL
Level 3

Thanks Jaydeep! I also registered for the beta release of BE. It seems that this particular issue will be addressed in the next service pack.

Iam waiting for the Symantec approval to test a beta version and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited