cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2012 SP4 mailbox store 0 bytes

RDiNapoli
Level 4

I just installed BE 2010 SP4 on a 2008R2 server and the backup of the Exchange 2003 server completes.  When I drilled down to modify the mailbox selections of what to back up and found the following:

BE1.jpg

When looking at the job history the byte count is much higher

BE2.jpg

Not sure what is wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Single mailbox restore is possible without restoring the entire Information Store. This is what GRT is. Just backup of individual mailbox isn't possible.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

so this is a issue with Backup Exec 2012 installed on a Windows 2008R2 backing up Exchange 2003, correct?  What Windows version is the server that Exchange is installed on?

Thanks,

EDIT also try repushing the remote agent to the Exchange server and run the backup without AOFO enabled

take a look at this Best Practices  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74428

RDiNapoli
Level 4

The Exchange Server is on a 2003 SP2 server fully patched.  I've successfully pushed the agent three times but when I ran a backup it would always fail.  I finally did a manual install which succeded and when I ran the backup job it also worked.  When I tried to change the mailbosex I wanted to backu is when I saw that the byte count was "0".  I've tried various "fixes" with no luck, including the doc you listed. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Do you have Advanced Open File Option selected in your backup job? If so, turn it off and then try the backups again.

Thanks!

RDiNapoli
Level 4

I'll check and get back to you but I believe it is off.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  Are you backing up to tape or disk.  If it is to tape, create a b2d folder and test a backup to disk.

Try re-creating the job.

If you are running any antivirus scans make sure that the Backup Exec processes are excluded:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvlsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkUpexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\beremote.exe  
and the Backup Exec temp directory C:\Temp\Backup Exec on the Exchange server 

hope this helps

RDiNapoli
Level 4

AOFO was off so I turned it on and tried to run a test job of just the information store but no mailboxes appear to select.  All backups are to disk and anti virus excludes BE processes.  

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You're doing a GRT-based backup of Exchange so no mailboxes would show up. You'd need to do a legacy backup of Exchange if you want to do this, and it's going to take longer.

Thanks!

RDiNapoli
Level 4

I setup a test run of only the information store and the system state with GRT on and off and still the same result

BE3.jpg

WithBE5.jpgand without, what else can I try...BE4.jpg

VJware
Level 6

This is expected behavior.

A size of all Exchange databases is displayed as 0 KB or blank in Backup Selections. -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185960

RDiNapoli
Level 4

This makes no sense, how can one drill down and say NOT backup all junk or deleted folders in the mail store or NOT backup selected mailboxes?  It was fully functional with BE 2010 and Exchange 2003.  There must be a wrk around?

VJware
Level 6

Be 2010 and earlier versions had an additional option "enable legacy mailbox support(exchange 2003)" and enabling it allowed you to drill down further the backup selections. This method isn't recommended nor supported either (due to VSS and GRT being introduced).

RDiNapoli
Level 4

So let me completely understand this, there is no way to backup or restore a single mailbox from an Exchange 2003 server using BE2012 SP4?  If that's the case what do organization with thousands of mailboxes do if they need to restre a single mailbox, restore the entire information store?  

VJware
Level 6

Single mailbox restore is possible without restoring the entire Information Store. This is what GRT is. Just backup of individual mailbox isn't possible.

RDiNapoli
Level 4

Can I run BE2010 on a seperate server and only backup Exhange, I was abe to selectively backup certain Mailboxes?

VJware
Level 6

Using BE 2010 yes, you do have the option to backup selective mailboxes. (Applicable only with Exchange 2003).

KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49538