cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2012 SP4 problems

HNeumann
Level 4

Hello,

after installing SP4 for BE2012 the server runs poorly. The jobs cannot access the devices properly. Restarting the services work for a short time.  I think we have to open a call. We have the caso options installed... Anyone the same problems?

68 REPLIES 68

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

In a CASO environment, the update should be:

1. CASO...

2. All MMS servers.

Have you made sure all MMS servers (and their remote servers) have been updated? Have you tried to reapply SP4 on the server/s giving you issues?

Thanks!

HNeumann
Level 4

Hi,

yes, thats right. We always apply the patches on the CASO first. After reapply SP4 nothing happend. After a while of backing up all our jobs in the deduplication store hang around in the queue saying they cannot access the deduplication store.
Than we have to restart the services, wait 3 hours than Backup will run until the next error ist happening. We now will open a case and we will look for an other product. Backup Exec is annoying me :( 

Can we uninstall the SP4?

HN

CraigV

Hi HN,

No, the latest releases are uninstallable.

The only other suggestions I have would be to do a repair of the BEDB using beutility.exe, and also check the Known Issues section on Connect to see if your particular error is listed there.

Thanks!

HNeumann
Level 4

Hi CraigV,

can i do a repair installation of BE? Do you think than can help? Or first, i will try to repair the DB. Thanks for your ideas.

HN

CraigV

Yes you can try that too. Do the repair of BE first, and then the repair of the BEDB.

HNeumann
Level 4

Hello Craig,

i have repaired the DB an made a repair installation. I hope it works now. I will report. But i think the problem is the deduplication store. This technique makes me crazy from day one we installed the deduplication option...

Hanging jobs on the dedup isn´t quite new to me. After rebooting the system it will work for a week or two, but there are always problems...

HN

HNeumann
Level 4

This is it. We will uninstall the program and evaluate another solution. BE is the worst software out there. All jobs are hanging around saying waitung for device etc. Its not true the software makes us crazy. Since SP4 there no dys without rebooting the caso server hoping the Engine can access the Dedup folder...

There is not a week without problems. Backup is so important but with this software you cannot backup important files.
Nothing works its so ridiculous

Greetings

Dieter14
Level 2

We are having similar issues after the upgrade to SP4.  Anyother suggestions other than a wipe and reload?

CraigV

...logging a call with Symantec MIGHT help. The OP on this post simply ended up looking elsewhere. If you can't uninstall SP4 you are left with reinstalling from scratch (BE that is) or getting help from support.

Thanks!

HNeumann
Level 4

We opened a call with symantec, the engeneer is clicking around, he has no ideas where the error is coming from. Tomorrow we are getting another phone call :( It´s more than annoying...

CraigV

...you're entited to ask for an escalation to a higher level of support! If this hasn't been done, do so and see how this pans out.

Thanks!

Syntex
Level 3

Wow! I had the exact same issue after SP4 and I thought I was alone. Communication errors accessing the deduplication folder (0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred). I spent a huge amount of time looking thru all the TECH notes, but found no joy and it all happened after SP4. Tech support also sent me some unrelated Tech notes which had me believing this was new.

This is a CASO/MMS environment where I followed the SP4 instructions to apply to CASO first and then to the MMS's servers.

To make a long story short I tried; Repairing and re applying sp4. that did not work. Tried dumping my Deduplication Folder and creating a new one from scratch, that didnt work. Tried dumping my jobs and recreated from scratch, that didnt work, Retargeting all the Jobs to B2D, Success!

Now I was in a pickle because without deduplication the 12TB of storage would not last long with the retention I needed. So, biting the bullet and throwing a hale mary I backed up the data and catalogs just incase and reinstalled everything from scratch applying SP4 before anything else.

Everything is communicating again so, I guess it was not a network issue as tech support suggest which is not completely there fault as this may be a new issue directly related to SP4. I will spend the next week getting all the jobs in order and back to normal.

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello HNeumann, Dieter14, 

If you have open up support cases, can you plesae send me the case id.

Thanks,
Sandesh

Dieter14
Level 2

06385613 &  06182939  are the two open tickets with Symantec.  It appears that the upgrade destabilized the Backup Exec  Job engine service.  After working with support yesterday and uploading logs, I restarted the server.  Confirmed all backup exec services that are required were running. 

• Backup Exec Agent Browser
  • Backup Exec Device & Media Service
  • Backup Exec Job Engine
  • Backup Exec Management Service
  • Backup Exec Remote Agent For Windows
  • Backup Exec Server

Kicked off a backup job that was running when I logged off.  Sometime between 5:30 PM EST and 9:30 PM EST the backup exec job engine system service stopped as at 9:31 PM EST is when I see in the log that the service was no longer responding.  

Restarted all the services again this morning and kicked off a job.  We'll see how it goes.    

sbora
Level 6

Hello Dieter14,

I will get these cases escalated to further investigate the issue.

Thanks,

sbora
Level 6

We investigated the issues reported by Dieter14 and they are not related to SP4. 

HNeumann, if you got a chance to create case with our support please send me the case id so that we can investigate the cause.

Thanks,

jwoppert
Level 3

Everything was working GREAT before service pack 4 was installed. A typical duplicate job used to take 5 minutes to complete, now sits in 'queued' status for 15 minutes or longer. Service Pack seems to have messed everything up. DO NOT INSTALL SERVICE PACK 4 for Symantec Backup Exec. 

I have noticed that the first initial backup job which I have going to an iSCSI NAS usually completes at normal time. The duplicate jobs that I do (which go to a removable disk via eSATA) now take forever to complete. This was never the case before the installation of service pack 4. 

Someone please help.

marcodoy
Level 2

I have the exact same problem. Before SP4 everything was working before and the jobs queued and stuck... The engine seems to have been broken by SP4. Restarting all services is the only way to kick new jobs and may fail again by freeezing,.

Artegic
Level 6

SP4 did not cause any additional breakage for me. It even fixed one issue. (RALUS crashing on kernel 3.x) Apart from that, no change, neither for better nor for worse.