cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2014 and Dell Pawervault 124t VS160 Media Changer Not in Device Manger

zacharymcpherso
Not applicable

I have recently installed BackupExec 2014 on a Windows Server 2012 box.  I have a Dell Powervault 124t VS160 SCSI Tape vault attached to the box.  The drive itself is recognized fine but the media changer is not showing up in the device maager.  If I manually put a tape in the drive, my backup will run until the media is full.  However, my problem is that without the media changer (autoloader) installed, BE will not automatically change tapes.  Does anyone have any ideas on why the media changer is not showing up in the device manager?  I did not have this problem with Server 2008 and BackupExec 2012.  PLEASE HELP!!!

5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The Dell PowerVault PV-124T with VS160 tape drive is unsupported with BE 2014, according to the BE 2014 HCL.

Is the robotic library showing up in Windows Device Manager?  If so, does it show up as "unkown medium changer"?

Windows Server 2012 changed some things with drives, so you may want to consider going back to Windows Server 2008, although it would still be unsupported in BE 2014, but it should work.

If you can post your adamm.log here, we may be able to offer more assistance.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does anyone have any ideas on why the media changer is not showing up in the device manager?

This is a hardware question and you should work with your tape library vendor to make it work, i.e., show up in the Windows Device Manager.  If the device does not show up in the Windows Device Manager then BE cannot make use of it.  However, even if you make it show up in the Windows Devide Manager, your combination of tape library and tape drive is not supported by BE 2014.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is it connected to a supported SCSI/SAS card? As in not a RAID controller?

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Oops, i missed that the changer wasn't showing up in Windows Device manager.

Then the next thing to check is if it shows up in the SCSI HBA device listings.  I would go out on a limb and guess that this is a new SCSI HBA in a new server and that Multi-LUN support is not enabled in the HBA.  Go into the setup options for your SCSI HBA (often CTRL-A during POST) and enable multi-LUN support.  then the changer should be seen during SCSI POST and seen in Windows Device Manager.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Hi Zachary,

Did you have any success enabling multi-LUN support or getting your library detected?