Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use Software =TB License with NEVC With Hardware= 53TB 5240 Appliance

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Veritas,

I have Netbacku License guide 8.1.2 , also i m working since 7 yrs with customers , Distributor is also confused regarding this query, we are the reseller , we want answer from Veritas.

Now i m confuse in below licensing
I want to give customer NEVC License with TB License on 5240 Appliance  can  i give?

Customer requirement =backup of 100 VMS which are located on 5 physical servers  (10 CPUs ). with 53 TB  Netbackup Appliance

I have made this BOQ,Please COnfirm will it work ?

Software
 1NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE VIRTUAL CLIENT WLS CPU HARDWARE TIER 4 ONPREMISE STANDARD LICENSE + ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE BUNDLE INITIAL 12MO CORPORATE10
 2NETBACKUP PLATFORM BASE COMPLETE ED XPLAT 1 FRONT END TB ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE QTY 0 to 10 CORPORATE1
 3ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS RENEWAL FOR NETBACKUP PLATFORM BASE COMPLETE ED XPLAT 1 FRONT END TB ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE QTY 0 to 10 CORPORATE1
Hardware
skuDescQNTY
 4NETBACKUP APPLIANCE 5240 53TB 4 1GB ETHERNET - 2 10GBT CU ETHERNET - 4 10GB SFP ETHERNET - 6 8 GB FIBRE CHANNEL STANDARD APPLIANCE + STANDARD MAINTENANCE BUNDLE INITIAL 12MO CORPORATE1
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you will only backup virtual machines on the 5 x ESXi/Hyper-V servers, then 10 x NEVC licenses will be all you/customer need. 

For anything else, you can add agent-based licenses. 
E.g. if you are planning to connect a tape library, you can add library-based tape drive licenses. 

View solution in original post

Marianne

You will have 10 x Enterprise Server Windows/Linux/Solaris Tier 4 licenses.

This means you are entiltled to deploy up to 10 Enterprise Servers!

NBU Appliance is Tier 2 WLS  Enterprise Server.

When NEVC was newly introduced in NBU 8, Product Management explained NEVC in detail along with some examples. 

See attached. 

If you still have doubts, please contact your Veritas SE. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Yes it is confusing. Personally I believe this BoM is within NetBackup license rules.

However the license guide statement "NetBackup Enterprise Virtual Client can be only be used to protect virtual environments however the associated media or master server(s) can be physical" could be understood to say the Appliance is also covered by NEVC. You will indeed need to get Veritas to confirm whether this is correct or not, your distributor can get clarification from Veritas via their account manager.

Good luck, Andrew

Marianne
Why do you feel that you need Capacity license?
There is no rule that says you need Capacity license on NBU Appliance.

The NEVC license covers all of the following :
NBU Enterprise server WLS tier 4 (NBU Appliance or physical master/media servers)
NBU Enterprise client (for VM backups)
Application and Database pack (for all DBs on VMs)
DPOO (for dedupe backups to Appliance)

If you have any doubts about licenses, you need to contact the SE at your local Veritas office.
Your Distribution partner will also have access to Veritas vtss email address in your region.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Andew.

Thanks

Hi Marraine,

Thanks for clarification.

So with 5240 APPLIANCE  in my condition , Is only 10 NEVC license is enough ?

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Data sheet attached saying that Master / Media Not included,  Can u please clear this

Here’s what’s included in NEVC:
• 1x Enterprise Server Windows/Linux/Solaris Tier 4 license
• 1x Enterprise Client Windows/Linux/Solaris Tier 4 license
• 1x Application/DB Agent Windows/Linux/Solaris Tier 4 license
• 1x Data Protection Optimization Option (DPOO) license with unlimited deduplication capacity
• Note: SKU Bundle includes 12 months of support with additional support available for purchase
This offer is based upon a per-socket meter consisting only of the sockets powering the physical hardware hosting the supported
hypervisors. Infrastructure powering NetBackup such as Master/Media servers are not counted as part of the per-socket meter.

Marianne

If you will only backup virtual machines on the 5 x ESXi/Hyper-V servers, then 10 x NEVC licenses will be all you/customer need. 

For anything else, you can add agent-based licenses. 
E.g. if you are planning to connect a tape library, you can add library-based tape drive licenses. 

Marianne

You will have 10 x Enterprise Server Windows/Linux/Solaris Tier 4 licenses.

This means you are entiltled to deploy up to 10 Enterprise Servers!

NBU Appliance is Tier 2 WLS  Enterprise Server.

When NEVC was newly introduced in NBU 8, Product Management explained NEVC in detail along with some examples. 

See attached. 

If you still have doubts, please contact your Veritas SE. 

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Marriane,

Thanks for attached explained NEVC Features document, Now its clear.

That it will work with appliance with ony NEVC License,

For any physical server , or library we have to add another license.