cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Gradually Slowing Down

omar_mcmammoth
Level 2

Hello, 

I was hoping for a little help, as I'm not sure where else to go on this one.

We use Veritas / Symantec backup exec on most, if not all our servers, and currently only having this problem with 2 of them. 

1 is using Backup Exec 10.0 Rev 5484 (not with any sort of warranty, so can't be upgraded) and the other is using Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213. Both are serviced packed as far as they can be, both are sitting on Windows 2003 servers, and are both using Sony SDX-1100's (AIT5).

Problem is as follows. The backups run as normal, however with each consecutive run, the backup slows down by between 50 - 75MB/Min. After a week or so, the backup takes longer then 24 hours. The only way I've found so far to sort the problem, is to reset the server, which then begins the process over again. If a backup is missed (e.g. if the tape isn't put in) it will skip the backup, yet still be slower on the next run.

So far, we've tried updating backup exec (on one server we were using BE 9.0) to BE 10 Rev5484. The tape drives have both been replaced, drives have been defragmented, Backup Exec has been uninstalled, reinstalled and repatched, as have the O/S's. Controller card drivers have been checked and are current. And obviously, various cleaning tapes have been tried.

There might be a really simple way around it, but for the life of me, I can't see it.

Any help appreciated.

0 REPLIES 0