cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups fail after server was added to domain

Niko_Turunen
Level 3

Hey,

I have Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard server, which was backing up normally untill I added it to domain. There is a local user account on server which is part of administrators group on the server. My backup job was using that account. After server was added to domain I got the following errors:

"The automated credentials test failed for the following server or servers. Select 'Test All' on the 'Test edit credentials' dialog to view and fix any problems with the credentials. Note: Only servers with jobs scheduled before the next automated test will have their credentials checked. XXX, Account name used: YYY, Description: ZZZ." 

"(Server: "BE") (Job: "XXX Backups-Incremental to Disk") XXX Backups-Incremental to Disk -- The job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed."

After these errors I tried to test the credentials again with no succes. After that I uninstalled agent from that virtual server and installed it again locally. Agent installation was succesfull, but now I cant add the server to my backup exec. When I try to add the server, I get the following error:

"(Server: "BE") (Job: "XXX Agent for Windows Installation 00102") XXX Agent for Windows Installation 00102 -- The job failed with the following error: Access Denied. Ensure that you have the appropriate credentials to access the remote computer. If this error occurred for another reason, you can find more information at the following URL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80805"

I also did the steps that are told in the HOWTO80805 link and tried adding server again, but I ended up to same error.

• Disable the registry key LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy.

To disable UAC remote restrictions, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951016

• Enable and start the Remote Registry service.

• Disable or remove Windows Defender.

I also checked Event logs from that virtual server I'm trying to add back to backup exec. There are succesfull audit logins for account that I'm using to add the server from same time I'm trying to add the server to backup exec. 

I dont have any user accounts for domain that the server is part of. Any ideas how to fix this problem? 

Backup Exec version: 14.1 Rev. 1786 (64-bit)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically when you change a Backup Exec Server from a Workgroup into a Domain, you should change both the Backup Exec Service Account and Backup Exec System Login accoun to be domain admin accounts. The service accont is easiest changed using BEUTILITY, the System Logon Account should be changed in Network Accounts within the BE Admin Console.

You also have to make sure that any Domain Group Policies allows the account in question to have the following permissions:

• Log on as a Service
  • Act as Part of the Operating System
  • Create a Token Object
  • Manage Auditing and Security Log
  • Backup Files and Directories
  • Restre Files and Directories
  • Logon as a Batch Job

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically when you change a Backup Exec Server from a Workgroup into a Domain, you should change both the Backup Exec Service Account and Backup Exec System Login accoun to be domain admin accounts. The service accont is easiest changed using BEUTILITY, the System Logon Account should be changed in Network Accounts within the BE Admin Console.

You also have to make sure that any Domain Group Policies allows the account in question to have the following permissions:

• Log on as a Service
  • Act as Part of the Operating System
  • Create a Token Object
  • Manage Auditing and Security Log
  • Backup Files and Directories
  • Restre Files and Directories
  • Logon as a Batch Job