cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups failing/hanging/taking too long

GCDI
Level 2

We use BackupExec 11d, and it has been working fine until a couple of weeks ago. Then we started having a variety of problems; forgive me for the length of this post, but I want to be as complete as possible.

We backup 3 different servers to an Exabyte (10-tape) library: An Exchange 2007 server (running on Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 x64), a print/fileserver (Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2), and an intranet server (Windows 2000 Server SP4). A couple of weeks ago, the email backup hung up with the error "Drive and media mount requested: 4/17/2009 11:41:59 PM
- Error - Mount failed. Operation aborted" I swapped out the tapes, and everything ran fine for a couple of days, except the weekly cleaning job keeps failing. I inserted a brand new cleaning tape, thinking the old one was used up, but I keep getting the message "Error : e000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found." I even moved the cleaning tape to a different slot, but still no luck.

Since then, it has been hit and miss. On Monday, the email backup completed in less than 6 hours. On Tuesday, it was less than 2/3 done after 6 hours, and I had to cancel it since the workday had started and the backup was slowing down the mail server. On Wednesday, I set the backup to start earlier, but the server shut down (motherboard failure) during the backup. After repairing the server and recovering the email database from its dirty shutdown state, I started a backup. When I came in this morning, it looked like it was just hanging; the status showed N/A. After I cancelled the backup, it showed that it was a little better than halfway done after 8 hours. Among other things in the log, I saw this statement: "AOFO: Started for resource: "\\EMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "E:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume E: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7)." Which is odd because I don't have AOFO enabled for this backup.

During this time, the two other servers (a print/fileserver and an intranet server) have backed up successfully, although the amount of time has increased. For instance, on Monday, the fileserver backup took 1 hour for 8.5 GB; Tuesday it was 3 hours for 9 GB; Wednesday and Thursday it was 2.5 hours for <7GB. The intranet server has increased from 10 minutes to 30 minutes, even though there has been no increase in amount of data.

Backup Exec is running on Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2. Any help in tracking down my problem is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

chicojrman
Level 6
Try this with your error: e000810d = http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190820.htm

GCDI
Level 2
Thanks for the link, chicojrman. However, the job that is generating that particular error is a cleaning job. Therefore, there are no options related to appendable media. I have confirmed that the cleaning tape is present and recognized by BE.

GCDI
Level 2
Anyone else have any thoughts? This weekend, the full backup of the email server took 27 hours; it normally takes 9. No more data than usual.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Any chance you can run the backups to disk instead of tape, that would help narrow down that problem a bit. ie rule out the tape drive as the slow down.

PcSysAdmin
Level 4
Ben L. has a good point.. I'm betting the issue is the physical tape drive the way you are running into this.  do you have a drive you can swap this one out for?  Or can you take one of the tapes that it fails on over to another drive and see if it is able to inventory, and catalog the tape?

I once had issues similar to this when one of my tape drives was failing.  Eventually, it errored out and the tape was actually physically stuck in the drive.  Since the drive was out of warranty I went ahead and removed it manually, and it worked for another couple months (hit-or-miss).  Eventually, it ate another tape so I retired the drive it since it obviously isn't working oh so well afterwards..

BTW:  I'd suggest using the Tandberg VXA Tools to verify your drives are functioning 100%.. I also have Exabyte/Tandberg VXA drives... To make sure everything is right I always use the VXA Tool to test and reformat the tapes if anything goofy happens.  It will wipe the data on the tapes complete, and even fix capacity size issues if you have a mix of VXA-320 and the old VXA-2 (160GB) drives.