cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups hangs on *.tgz files randomly

Chris_Fielding
Level 4
Hi,

I keep on having backups hang on .tgz files. Some of them have been backed up before but then one day the backup sees them as corrupt or has a problem and won't go past this file. I can run the backup the next day and it does it fine.
It isn't always the same file but they are always .tgz as the last file backed up and with a red cross next to them.

I need a way of getting veritas to either not have this problem or move past the file if it can't back it up as otherwise we loose all the following jobs which can be quite extensive some weekends.

thanks,

Chris

N.b The backup is on a XP Pro SP2. The files are located locally having been moved across with ftp from a Linux machine using file system ext3.
4 REPLIES 4

Chris_Fielding
Level 4
Any chances of anyone having an opinion on this?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Just a few guesses..

Do you have any interface extensions installed such that Windows actually recognises .tgz files? May help to uninstall these.

Virus scanner? Have it not scan such files.

Chris_Fielding
Level 4
Thanks for the advice. The tgz files don't have any file association but i've had them removed from the virus scanner. Problem with the fault is that as its random won't know if its done anything until it either happens again or just dosen't happen for an nth amount of time.

Chris_Fielding
Level 4
No joy on this. Backup was hung this morning on a .tgz file that it has already backed up 3 times in the past days - had to cancel backup and also the following backup that would have run upon this ones completeion.

Have also made the registry change for Fail Jobs on Corrupt Files to 0 even though the documentation for it was vague at best. I don't understand why Veritas can't be set to just move past these files if it can't back them up and continue the backup.

A little bit of input from a Veritas employee wouldn't go amiss either, especially as you keep on mailing me about going to Backup Exec 11 and all about giving our data "the protection it deserves".

Even if you can just say that the way we are backing these .tgz files isn't appropriate would be a help as I could have a case for removing them off my servers.... anything?????