cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups not completing

FireJoe
Level 3

I have a job that is backing Windows BKF files, TRN log files and txt files. All are located within multiple directores deep. There is about a total of 4TB of data that needs to be full on weekends and incremental durring the week. I have the job configured to connect to the server and taking a backup of the data from the E: and F: drives from the local server. Some of the data is ever changing as log and txt files are being written to all the time. The BAK files are also being overwritten so I am not using snapshot technology within the job. The server is physical but the drives are part of our SAN. To make matters worse it is almost taking 20+ hours to backup this data and then it fails. 

I am currently not able ot comply with the DR plan we have in place for our DB restores and I have tried many options but I am not looking for assistance from you all. Also the speed is slow and I am hoping to speed this up a bit as well.

I have more specifics if you need them, please ask.

Thanks for all your help.

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Have you tried creating a smaller backup job to see if it completes successfully?

Make sure that if you have antivirus running on your machines that the Backup Exec processes are excluded from the scan.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The BAK files are also being overwritten so I am not using snapshot technology within the job.

If you do not turn on AOF in your job, the files that you backed up may be logical inconsistent and cannot be used when they are restored.  Furthermore, BE will repeatedly try to open the files which are already opened by some other process and thus slowing down the job.

The fact that some files are being overwritten should not preclude you from using AOF in your job.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are you perhaps having your jobs overlap? Ignoring not using AOFO which you should be, as per pkh's suggestion, you stated that the BKF files are being overwritten. Is this happening at the same time as the BE job?

Thanks!