cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups reporting as failed, however the data has been backed up..

Dave_C
Level 4
Hi there...I currently look after about 30 backup servers running 9.1 on W2000 & W2003, Some of the sites run backups without a single problem, however the others report the jobs as failed, but they have backed up the data, the failures report that it can't access silly files such as DHCP.tmp etc...and various PST's..But the servers which backup everything 100% perfectly backup the same files without any problems, and I've installed the latest agents etc onto all of my servers, the service accounts are full local admin's etc...was just looking for some help.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Richard_Ibbotso
Level 4
I get the same problems with 68 media servers running ver 8.6 to 9.1, and backing up 200 remote servers. I believe Veritas has some information available on how to modify the registry so that certain error conditions don't mark the jobs as failed.

I haven't really looked into it, but the people I work with tell me you can hack the registry to fix the problem.

When you configure the backup jobs try excluding temp files etc.

Try changing the configuration of the Open File Agent, so it saves the snapshots to another location. My media servers have multiple gigabit network links, and I configure the Open File Agent to use a shared folder on my media servers as the location. This seemed to help. You could actually try to turn off the open file agent and then set opened files to be backed up without a lock. I have found this works fine on pst files.

This is a problem that really annoys me, as I have to almost lie on my daily backup reports and say the jobs are successful, and I get people asking me daily why I haven't report the failed backup on server xxxx for several weeks.

Dave_C
Level 4
Thanks Richard, I'll give those mods a try, Like you said, it bugs the hell out of me to...Once again Thanks.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer to the foll. technotes for help:

Title : How to prevent Backup Exec from failing a backup operation when encountering corrupt files (excluding Microsoft Exchange files)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/193940

Title : How to disable the Active File Exclusion feature in Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/259152

"NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days,
this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived."

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.