cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups taking too long

Indy_PC
Level 2

I am using backup exec 11D.  Currently I am trying to backup 140GB.  The backups are taking roughly 20+ hours to a tape drive for offsite storage.  Are there any settings to speed up the backups?  I have removed compression since the files are images and 98% is non compressable.  I have a backup drive (flash media) that I am making a nightly backup which takes about 1/2 minutes (using robocopy).  I would like to use the tape drive for offsite storage but not at 20+ hours. 

There are many files that are being backed up.  I had to extract the files from a database due to the site (over 100 GB).  Not I have many files where I use to have one.  I think this is the issue but I don't know if it can be resolved.

Any thoughts or ideas would be approciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Masses of smaller files will always take longer to back than one or two large files

That being said, 7 GB/hour definitely sound way to slow

What kind of tape drive do you have?  

If you shut down Backupexec, what kind of throughput do you get with NTBackup?

Are you using Symantec drivers or the drive manufacturer's?

From the Devices Tab, right click the Drive\Properties

What are the settings for  Block Size, Buffer Size & Number of Buffers?

Also the settings for Single Block?

Indy_PC
Level 2

Here are the answers to your questions: 

What kind of tape drive do you have?

Answer:  Tandberg TS400 SCSI Sequential Device

If you shut down Backupexec, what kind of throughput do you get with NTBackup? 

Answer: Very good.  It takes only a few hours. (3-4)

Are you using Symantec drivers or the drive manufacturer's?

Answer:
Driver Provider: Symantec Corporation
Driver date:  1-12-2007
Driver Version: 5.1

Enable compression is set.
Block size (per device) - 64K
Buffer Size (per device) - 64K
Buffer Count – 10
Write single block mode is checked
Write SCSI pass through mode is checked

Tonight I am going to verify if there is an update.  I won't apply it yet until I see a reponse.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Write single block mode is checked

Try disabling this option.  it totally bypasses all buffering when writing to the tape

Indy_PC
Level 2

I disabled "Write single block mode is checked" and ran a test backup.  I am now showing roughly 1348.0 MB/min.  It changes every so often as it adjusts but that is roughly what I am getting now.  It seems to be running much faster now.  I will be able to tell once it finishes the test run.  I think now it will run a little faster.  As far as the driver is concerned should I go ahead and load the driver from the Windows update page?  I don't want to change the driver out if there is a known issue.

Thank you for your help and I will let you know how long it takes.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The Symantec driver should not be a problem,  but you can try the latest one found at

32-Bit

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300325.htm

64-Bit

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300298.htm

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-25-2008 01:37 PM

JCasares
Level 3
Partner

Is there any place where all those drive settings are explained and analyzed for better speed?

I'm facing slower backup times with 12.5 and I'm willing to improve configuration in any place and this one seems a valid one.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Should be in the Admin Guide, but here's a Tech Note for v12.5

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309628.htm