cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question on what I should be backing up

macpiano
Level 6

I have always just backed up the drive or folders that I need plus the system state. I do not backup the OS etc. Do I need to backup anything else? Do I need to even backup the system state? We have someone else that handles our DCs and they back them up.  I do not have the DR option so when I usually have to rebuild a server from backup I just build teh server and restore the file selections as they usually have the correct file permissions etc.

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If in case you have DFS data then you need to take a backup of shadow copy components.

DFS can be backed up only through Shadow copy.

macpiano
Level 6

Thanks, I am assuming you mean the Distributed File System?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Application (Exchange/SQL/Lotus Notes etc) and User Data, along with anything else YOU deem necessary for a successful restore.

It can include installation files, Program Files etc. But you and your company should be defining what is to be included in the backups!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes

macpiano
Level 6

We do define it but I just wanted to make sure I caught everything. Our organization would not know what a system state or shadow copy is so it is up to me to make sure. I never do Program files except unless it is customizied for example. We don't have an email server (thank goodness for many reasons).

thanks

Gary

CraigV

I back up System State, Windows directory, Program Files, Applications, User Data, and installations if need be.

We also run a VM environment which makes rolling out replacement servers pretty quick in case of total failure. From my side, that is what we require to restore data or a full server.

Cheers!

macpiano
Level 6

Some of these are VMs and I have the licenses but haven't had to time to set it up. Generally do these work well with dedup as in dedupe ratios? Also do I even need regular backups of files etc. if I'm just backing up the VM?

CraigV

If you're confident that you can restore from your VM (and you need to test this part thoroughly!), then no, you wouldn't need another job to backup data in. You'd be doing this already when you select your VM, and you're also able to application-level restores from Exchange for example out of that VM.

Dedupe rations...? Not sure. But don't forget if you have 10 Windows servers, you'll only have 1 backup of the Windows folder for example, with pointers to the other 9 versions. So in this regard, as your dedupe operation runs more, you'll get better ratios. Only way to check this out is to test it as well.