cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benifits on Upgrading to 10.0

Bill_Bowling
Not applicable
I am currently using version 9.1 SP3 Backup Exec. Should I upgrade to 10? What are the advanages? I do not see anything right now.

Bill
6 REPLIES 6

steve_burkett
Level 4
Not too many, mainly:

Better support for SANs
More support for Unix
Better support in DMZ/Firewall environments

Also it allows you to use the two new options that you can purchase from Veritas:

Central Administration Server Option (CASO) (so you can admin all your media servers from one place)
Advanced Disk-Based Backup Option (ADBO) (so you can backup to disks rather then tape)

Check out the v10 FAQ:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274569.htm

But really if you've got a pretty standard v9 setup then you probably needn't bother.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

Many issues of the previous versions are resolved in the latest version. Also you can check out the latest build for version 10.0 5520.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276379

If you wish to install the latest build , you can install it with an evaluation period of 60 days.

Here´s the Link for downloading the latest build :

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277181.htm

========================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
I'm running BE 10 nor for two weeks and it performs nicely and I do have only one issue:

Sometimes I have to delete tapes in the library manually to make space for running backups (yes, I know this is not the perfect behaviour) when a job asks for a new tape.
With all versions up to now this was no problem, I started the delte job, it deleted the tape and everything went on.
With BE10 now this is no longer possible. The delete job apparantly waits for the backup job to finish berfore it starts. The backup job, of course, cannot finish, because it needs a new tape.
The only possibillity is to cancel the backup job (unless I do have a scratch tape somewhere outside and put it in).

(normal setup W2k3 server with all patches, latest library and drive firmware, BE 10 latest release, HP 5052 library with one SDLT II drive)

greetings
Peter

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Though we encourage your participation in the Forum, after analyzing your query and scenario we conclude that the issue faced by you is different from the one being discussed in this thread. It needs a different line of troubleshooting and hence, we request you to resubmit your query as a new post.

Also elaborate on the content in the post: why do you have to delete the tapes in the library? Do you get any error messages or warnings during the backup job?

Do update with details on the forums with a new post thread.

Regards.

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Dear priya khire,

Sorry for that misunderstanding.
I did not ask for an answer, my intention was only to show that not everything went better after upgrading to BE 10.

As soon as I have enough data and time, I will start a thread on it. In future I will state explicitely if my post is intended as information or as question. My post above was intended as information.

greetings
Peter

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Does the original issue persist? If yes please do revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.