cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for Backing up Backup Server

Nathan_Talbot
Level 3

I'm currently using Backup Exec 2010 R3 and recently had an issue with the Server and had to reinstall, I also lost my catalog data and wanted to know the best practice for backing up the Backup Exec Server itself?

What Files/Folders should be backed up? and should this be done as the first or last Server in the backup job? 

I hope to upgrade to 2014 when I have this system stabilized, will the same files/folders be required for this or would it be something different?

Many thanks for any help and advice

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This KB may help - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56671

today
Level 4

I don't know if I would call this a "best practice", but you might find it interesting.

I backup everything to tape, so I'm quite worried about what to do to restore my Backup Exec Media Server.  What I'm doing is using the built-in Windows Server Backup tool to create a bare-metal restore (full system image) on a USB drive. 

Here is the command I use (you must run it from an elevated command shell)

wbadmin start backup -quiet -allCritical -systemState -backupTarget:U:

This backup also includes all of the Backup Exec data and catalog files because I keep everything on my C: drive.  You might have to specify an additional drive/directory if you are saving your catalogs on another drive.

I've done complete restores of other servers and desktops using this method.  No failures yet.  Just pop in the Windows Server DVD or USB memory stick, boot from it, and start restoring from the USB drive.

Even if you are already saving Backup Exec system recovery images to disk, I would consider also using this built-in tool as an additional precaution.  On my media server, this tool finishes in 15 minutes, storing to a USB3 drive, so it takes very little time.

Good luck!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should backup the entire C: drive and the system state of the media server. The Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory MUST be backed up. This will allow you to either to a manual recovery or using IDR for an automated recovery. For BE 2014, you can use SDR to automate you media server recovery. You might want to schedule the BE database management to a time after all your backups so that you have a backup of the BEDB with all the latest information. You then do the media serve backup after this.