cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big media issues

Dan_Engbers_2
Level 3
I'll explain the issue and what I've tried to solve it so far.

Two tape drives running on BEWS 10.

Drive A and Drive B are both 160/320 Quantum SDLT drives.

Insert Tape A and name it Tape A. Eject Tape. Insert Tape B and name it Tape B. Eject Tape. Insert both A and B whichever name inventoried first would show up on the last to finish and leave the first as "unknown". Run inventory on Unknown and it becomes the name of the other tape, leaving that one as unknown. Eject a tape and the one left in will still inventory as the first tape whether it's the proper name or not.

Windows Removable Storage reads the tapes and reports them properly.

I picked up a SCSI controller card recommended by the manufacturor and removed the drives from the array controller. didn't work. I changed the SCSI ID's on the drives with no luck. I've installed all Veritas updates relevant to my setup without luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
1.After you inevntory try running a job to these and check if the tapes retain their names/labels as you call it.
2.Also verify with your device manufacturer whther the tapes are supported by this particular device.
3. You may also explicitly run a job to label the tapes and then check the behaviour. Else the tapes are given defualt labels in a series example: a00001,a00002 etc.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Dan_Engbers_2
Level 3
All this has been done. By naming a tape I'm referring to running a label job. The tapes are supported by the hardware and the hardware is supported by BEWS.

I've tried it all.

I run a "label job" on each tape, one at a time. The first tape that ran a "label job" becomes in the device manager inside BEWS. If I run two jobs at the same time (the reason for two tape drives) one of them will fail out saying the media is overwrite protected even though its media is still in scratch. When checking into the error it's because the first drive thinks it's the same media as the last labeled media in the second drive, which has taken the name of the first labeled media.

Confusing, yes...

So then I run two "label jobs" and run a backup job to tape A, eject, run a backup job to tape B, eject. Insert both tapes after than, run an inventory job on each tape and only one tape is recognized as the first job run the other becomes again with the drives thinking they both have the same tape.

I open removable storage in windows and behold, the media in the drives are listed correctly and no amount of reboots, service restarts or jobs within BEWS will cause BEWS to report the same results as Removable Storage, or even report two seperate tapes.

So, Windows Removable Storage = works.
BEWS = doesn't work.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please upgrade to 10.0 build 5520 and verify.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 rev. 5520 for Windows Servers Installation Files

(title) http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.