cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffalo Terastation Won't Back Up

David_Waller
Level 2
I was backing up shared folders from a Terastation NAS with Backup Exec under Remote Storage fine with the evaluation version of Backup Exec 10. I installed my serial number when it arrived, and now I can't back up the Terastations using Remote Storage shares or User Defined selections. I verified that the settings under Tools, Options, Network is still checked to "Enable backup of User Shares."

I uninstalled and reinstalled the product, but it still won't see the shares of the Terastations. Is there an option that was enabled with the evaluation copy that I need, or is there some other reason why I can't back up shared folders on a remote device. I even mapped the shares onto local drives on the backup server itself, and it won't allow me to select the mapped drives on the server to back up. Help!
4 REPLIES 4

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Make an entry under 'user-defined selections', be shure to use the correct Resource Credentials.

It works here, but it might be beacause I do have the UNIX agent licensed.
As yours worked with the evaluatioon version (where all options are activated) and not any more, it looks like this case

greetings
Peter

David_Waller
Level 2
As I indicated above, I tried user defined shares. I keep getting an error message that my version of Backup Exec won't allow me to backup these shared folders, even though they worked under the fully-enabled "evaluation" version. I wonder what option I would need to buy to enable backing up shares or creating user-defined selections?

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
As it is basically a LINUX system, the UNIX agent license may be necessary.
I do have these (for another server) installed.
The 'problem' is that you cannot install any agent at the Buffalo Station.

David_Waller
Level 2
Installing onto the BackupExec server the Backup Exec Remote Agent Option for Windows and Netware Servers licenses for each Terastation allowed the Terastations to be seen via shared folders and successfully archived. The agent, of course, cannot be installed on the Terastation, but at least the Terastations can now be backed up.